MtCotton Logan Memorial Inscriptions



Mount Cotton, Logan City


Address: Wuduru Rd, corner Mount Cotton Road
Cornubia, Logan City, Queensland.
(Near German Church Road)
Also known as Gramzow, Cornubia, Carbrook Lutheran Cemetery, West Mount Cotton
Opened: approx. 1875
# graves: ~130
From Logan City links below:

Cornubia (formerly Carbrook) Lutheran Cemetery Corner Wuduru Road and Mt Cotton Road Cornubia

The Lutheran Church was located at this site from 1875 until 1951. It was built by resident August Von Senden in the traditional fachwerk style. Master craftsman, Von Senden, designed the jointed timber frame which was erected by locals, held together with timber pegs and in-filled with handmade bricks. The cemetery evolved behind the church. The oldest known grave on this site is that of Caroline Liesegang, who died in childbirth in 1875. At that time the area was known as Gramzow, having been named by the German settlers after a town in their homeland. During WWII a number of towns in Queensland with Germans names were re-named. This area became Carbrook, and in more recent years was further divided into Carbrook and Cornubia.

The origins of this cemetery date to 1875 when Pastor Haussmann purchased the land for a church. At that time he had a mission based across the river at Alberton. The Bethesda Mission was started in 1867 to preach to the local Aboriginal population. St Paul's church at Gramzow was designed by a local, August Von Senden. It was built in the traditional north German style with hand made brick nogging in a timber frame which had been axe dressed and fixed with wooden pegs. The church was demolished in 1951 at the time of the construction of the new St Paul's Church at Mount Cotton. The cemetery remains in use by the congregation. It provides evidence of the early German settlement of the district. Many older gravestones are written in German. This area was settled by German families who arrived in the 1860s. They were industrious farmers who grew sugar cane, maize and arrowroot and later started dairying. The German language tended to be used for a long time, even in schools.

More information about
Logan City Cemetery List
Cornubia (formerly Carbrook) Lutheran Cemetery
Logan - final resting places.
Mount Cotton Lutheran Cemetery - transcriptions by Rhonda Demarco
Gumdale & Surrounding Precinct
Mt Cotton History
St Pauls Lutheran Church - Mount Cotton
Mt Cotton - Researched and written by Mary Howells
St Pauls Lutheran Church was built at Mt Cotton, replacing the old unsafe church.
Mount Cotton Village

Photographed: 13 Nov 2005


Displayed images are scaled down to fit on the screen, but full-size images can be obtained by clicking.


All the photos,
Names in alphabetical order,
All the cemeteries