Queensland's first Premier was
a young English aristocrat who with his smooth, quietly spoken urbane
manner, keen dress sense and use of an eye-glass really looked the
part. He was suspicious of democratic ideas, believing that the gentry
were by breeding and upbringing the only ones fitted to rule.
James Cook named Hervey Bay in honour of Augustus John Hervey, later the 3rd Earl of Bristol, who became a lord of the Admiralty in the year of the Endeavour's return to England. He was a parliamentarian as well as a naval officer, but gained popular attention as the husband, for a time, of the notorious Elizabeth Chudleigh. She scandalized Europe by the way she flunted her sexuality, disregarding the mores of the day.
Surveyor James Warner gave this densely wooded range the name of Sierra Madre, but it never took on. The Wilson family who settled there in the mid 1860s seem to have been the first to use the name of Highgate Hill. It's Aboriginal name was Beenung-urrung, frilled lizard.
The name of Highvale, near Mt Nebo, came into use in 1943. It was suggested by The Highlands station from which the area had been subdivided into soldier settlement blocks after the First World War. The Highlands was a model dairy farm, at one time owned by the McWhirters of Fortitude Valley.
This area near Nambour is supposed to have been named after a township in England.
Gazetted as a place name, June, 1987.
The area of Brisbane was once known as Coombes' Swamp after William Coombe who held land there.
The holding was taken up by C. Allingham, 1 July, 1861.
This place on the old Murgon-Proston line was named after an early resident.
Hodgson Vale was names after Sir Arthur Hodgson, an early settler in the area.
Julius Holland came to Australia from London at the age of 18 and shortly afterwards set up business in Brisbane in partnership with James Mort of the well-known Sydney family. This led to 20 years of energetic and enterprising commercial involvement in South East Queensland where he became involved in stock and station agency, wine and spirits merchandising, plantation ownership, tin mining and land speculation. He and his wife had ten children. They lived first at Springvale, Stones Corner, and then at Ashley, Kangaroo Point. He died of hepatitis in 1884 at the age of 39. When 60 hectares of scrub which he had bought in the 1870s was subdivided in 1882 as the Holland Estate his name was given to the emerging suburb.
Joseph Wood Proud, local councillor and mayor, named his house near Labrador Hollywell after his home in England
Holm is Old English for river flats. It was supposedly given this name because it gave excellent views of the old ferry crossing at Loganholme.
The township was named after William Howard, born in Tasmania 1839, who after his arrival in Maryborough 1857 explored the district for minerals.
This hill in the Reesville district near Maleny is named after Robert Howell who settled in the area.
When the German missionaries, Eipper and Hausemann, visited the abandoned site of the first European settlement at Moreton Bay its flimsy and derelict buildings were described by their Aboriginal acquaintances as Umpieboang - dead houses.