Named after the Brisbane businessman, George Harris
Twentv years separated the
brothers, John and George Harris, but they set up in partnership as
shipping agents in Brisbane in connection with the wool trade. When the
older brother went off to London to look after the interests of the
company there, George diversified and took the business into cotton
growing among other activities. He married Jane, a daughter of George
Thorn of Ipswich, and for some years owned Newstead House, but he
lost it in bankruptcy proceedings.
The Harris brothers opened a
cotton gin on part of Robert Dunn's selection to handle the cotton
coming off the Ipswich Agricultural Reserve. This land had been
specially set aside in 1860 by the newly formed Queensland Government
for the purpose of growing cotton when Briton's usual supply dried up
due to the American Civil War. Other businesses established themselves
nearby. The gin closed when the cotton-growing venture collapsed on the
return of the United States to the cotton market, but the name of
Harrisville lived on at the suggestion of Robert Dunn's youngest
daughter. Her first suggestion was Harristown, but there already was a
Harristown near Toowoomba, so her second choice was accepted. She later
married Luke Wheeler Smith.
Hawthorne in Brisbane is named
indirectly after Hawthorne in Melbourne. When the Baynes family moved
from Victoria around 1875 they called their house here
Hawthorne House. The name then came to be used of the locality from the 1880s.
Henry Baynes was born in England in 1833, the son of a butcher. He
purchased a Brisbane butchery in 1859, then with his brothers
established the Graziers' Butchering and Meat Export Company in 1880.
This was liquidated in 1897, but they started up another business 1898.
From 1878 to 1883 he was a member of the Queensland Legislative
Assembly. They say that he grew hawthorn hedges on his property,
another reason then for calling his place
It's Aboriginal name was Tungulba,
meaning a place for fish-poison.
This area between Oxley Creek and
Blunder Creek was named after one of its early settlers.
The Helensvale railway siding
served a sugar plantation of the same name around the end of the 19th
century. The sugarcane was transported from there to the Nerang Central
Mill for processing. Later the area was given over to dairying, but in
the 1990s it was transformed into a residential
The town grew up around the
railway station. The name came from one of the earliest runs taken up
by squatters during the great land rush of the early 1840s. The run was
originally spelt Hellidon after the town of that name in
In the local Aboriginal dialect the area was known as
Kuwirmandadu and meant the place of the curlew (Petrie).
The white people called it Hemmant after William Hemmant, a Brisbane
businessman and politician.
Hemmant, son of a farmer at
Whittlesey, Cambridge, England, was born 1838 and came to Australia
when he was twenty-one. He worked as a miner at Ballarat for a while
and then moved to Brisbane where he opened a drapery shop in
partnership with Alexander Stewart. Their premises were destroyed in
the great fire of 1864, but the business continued to prosper. He
married Lucy Elizabeth Ground in 1866. They had ten children.
opposed the squattocracy, served as an alderman on the Brisbane City
Council for a couple of years, became Treasurer in Macallister's
Government, but returned to England 1876 where he stirred up trouble
over some supposedly fraudulent government contracts and became
Queensland Agent-General. He sold his interest in the drapery firm,
1893. Died 1916.
The word Hendra comes from the
Celtic languages, more particularly the Cornish, and in any of its
forms - Hendra, Hendre or Hendref - refers to an established place of
habitation. The name was chosen by Francis
Curnow, Commissioner for Railways 1885-1889, when naming the station on
the train line. He had in mind a particular spot in
Although the sub-division was
originally called Heritage Woods it was gazetted in October 1991 as
Heritage Park on the recommendation of the developers.
Prev page . . . .
Place Names of South East Queensland home page