Place Names of South-East Queensland




This area to the north of Southport gained its name from the residence which belonged to the first manager of Cobb & Co.

Lacey's Creek

John Lacey was an early settler who took up Portion 117 in 1879. Before that the creek had been known as Bullon Creek. Some early maps show it as Leacy's Creek.


Allan Cunningham reported to Governor Darling his discovery, 22 June, 1829, of a fine patch of timbered plainland which he said he had named Laidley's Plain as a compliment to the Deputy Commissary-General in Sydney, James Laidley. He was sure this country would produce fine crops of maize or other grain.

James Laidley was born in Perthshire, Scotland, and had served in army commissary stores in several parts of the world before arriving in Sydney, 12 May, 1827, with his wife, Eliza, and five children. In Sydney, they lived a social and public-spirited life. He was involved in local newspaper affairs, the Australian Racing Club and the Agricultural and Horticultural Society. When he died at the age of 49, leaving a wife and eight children but no will, he was buried with full military honours.

J.P.Robinson occupied the Laidley Plains in 1845, but the first grant of land was made to R.J.Phelps, 1848. The town gained its name from the plains. 

Lake Clarendon

Originally Wingate's Lagoon.

Lake Elphinstone

Lake Elphinstone was named after George Elphinstone Dalrymple, the explorer.

Two brothers, Ernest George Beck Elphinstone Dalrymple and George Augustus Frederick Elphinstone Dalrymple, the ninth and tenth sons of Lieutenant-Colonel Robert Dalrymple Horn Elphinstone of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, both settled in Queensland as pastoralists. Ernest died after only five or six years here. George played a prominent part in the development of North Queensland. 

Lamb Island

Charles Lamb, the English poet and essayist, after whom Lamb Island is named, was a close friend of the poet Coleridge. During most of his long writing career he held the position of public servant clerk in India house and for much of that time he looked after his sister, Mary, who had been entrusted to his care following her killing of their mother in a manic attack in 1796. He renounced marriage to look after her. Some of his writing was done in conjunction with her. He signed the essays that he wrote for the London Magazine with the pen name of Elia. He died 1834 at the age of 59.

The island was known by the Aboriginals as Ngudooroo. 


The Lamington National Park, and perhaps the great fund-raising cake of Australia, is named after Charles Wallace Alexander Napier Cochrane-Baillie, better known to us as Lord Lamington, who was Governor of Queensland from April 1896 to 1901. He had got himself elected to the House of Commons in England, but when his father died he inherited the title of Baron Lamington and transferred to the House of Lords. An arch-conservative, he feared federation as opening the gate to socialism. After leaving Queensland he and his wife, Mary, went to Bombay where he was Governor for four years. He died at Lamington House , Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1940 at the age of eighty.

Landers Shoot

A man by the name of Landers had one of the shoots down which timber getters would send logs  from the slopes of the Blackall range.


The district was first known by the creek there, Mellum creek, but in 1889 the railway line came through and the Railway Department decided to call the station Landsborough in honour of William Landsborough who had, only a few years earlier, died at his home in Caloundra.

William, son of a Scottish clergyman, followed his older brothers to Australia in 1841. After learning about life in his new land by working on stations in the New England district and by joining the gold rush at Bathurst he came north where he and his brothers took up Mondure station on the Kolan River. He made many exploratory journeys through the North and West of Queensland, the most famous of which was the first crossing of the continent from the Gulf of Carpenteria to Melbourne on his officially appointed search for Burke and Wills. For a while he was Police Magistrate and Land Commissioner for the newly opening up Carpenteria area of Queensland. He had a home at Toowong. After his first wife, Caroline, died, he married Maria, a widow. The Queensland Government gave him a reward for his services through exploration and with it he bought the property, Loch Lamerough, at Caloundra. 


The name is of Aboriginal origin, but not local to the area. It is said to mean flowing water or flat country


Stephen Lawn, after whom Lawnton was named when the Railway Department acquired land from him for the building of the railway in 1888, had taken up land in 1862, just two days after landing in Brisbane on board The City of Brisbane.

Previous page                                    Next page

Place Names of South East Queensland home page