Place Names of South-East Queensland



Kin Kin

The name Kin Kin is derived from the Aboriginal kauin kauin  meaning red soil.  The school was previously called Bellbird Creek Flat School. The creek was formerly King King Creek.


This district was named after old residents. 


A kippa-ring is more widely known as a bora ring, but, using the more local dialect, the name came to be used of the Redcliffe suburb where one of these major centres for Aboriginal ceremony was located. This kippa-ring actually consisted of two rings about 300 metres apart joined by a pathway. The name was adopted by the Queensland Place Names Board, 12 October, 1959.  


Kirra was Aboriginal for boomerang. The railway station was so named by the Railway Department in 1932. 


Named after an early German migrant by the name of Klein.


Aboriginal for very good.


Appropriately the name for these falls in the Aborginal language means sound of rushing waters. When they were part of Skene's property they were known as Skene's Falls, but after his request that the Home Secretary's Department declare the 80 acres of his land that included the falls a reserve, they were, for a time,  called Bon Accord Falls. 


Meaning place of clean water, it was the Aboriginal name for the area between the North and South Maroochy Rivers where Yandina is now situated.


The Aboriginal name means the place of the copperhead snake. It was the name given to the pastoral property owned in turn by William Barker, John Haygarth, the Bundock family and the Gordon family. 


Literally the name means good like: kalang meaning good and gnur meaning like. Used to be part of the Maroochy Plains Cattle Run and was opened up for closer settlement in the 1890s.


In its original Aboriginal usage, locals claim kulpi was used for charred logs, but the Queensland Railways says that the name refers to timber from the box tree.  It was given this name when the railway came through. The positioning of the railway meant the demise of  the nearby township of Evergreen 


This was the local Aboriginal name for the black swan.  Andrew Petrie borrowed foreign Aboriginal words in naming the Maroochy River after the black swans there. 


From the Aboriginal term for a small vine growing in the forest.

Kunda Park

The name is believed to come from an Aboriginal language where it could have meant a dog or a decorated digging stick.


The name adopted by the Railway Department in 1885 was the name of a creek in the area. It was the Aboriginal word for a small creek. 


In the Aboriginal language of Yugurabul,  kuril-ba meant place of mice or rats.


This Aboriginal name for the area later known as West End in Brisbane was Kurilpa, place of rats or mice.


The Aboriginal name for the creek which Europeans called Sideling Creek was revived by the Queensland Place Names Board, 13 August, 1959, when it was given to the lake formed by the dam on that creek. 

Previous page                                             Next page

Place Names of South East Queensland home page