Smithfield Memorial Inscriptions


© Copyright 1996-2019 Kerry Raymond and David Horton


Smithfield, Cairns Region, Queensland


Address: Stewart Road, off Kamerunga Road, Barron
Opened: Dec 1878
# graves: 1

Smithfield Cemetery
This small reserve containing one marked grave is all that remains of the original Smithfield cemetery gazetted in December 1878.
This cemetery is the only evidence still in existence of the once thriving and boisterous settlement of Smithfield, established nearby on the North bank of the Barron river in November 1876 and named in honour of pathfinder William Smith.
The town withstood several major floods in it's short existence before becoming deserted in 1881 in favour of Port Douglas where Christie Palmerston had discovered a better dray road over the coastal range.

More information :


Cairns region: Old Smithfield Cemetery
Find a grave: Smithfield Cemetery Cairns (defunct)
Trove (NLA): Old Smithfield township 1876 to 1879 : a story of a township that was created to be the port on the Barron River / the story is told by Aubrey John Walters

Photographed: July 2016

Displayed images are scaled down to fit on the screen, but full-size images can be obtained by clicking.


All the photos   ,
Names in alphabetical order    ,
All the cemeteries