This small reserve containing one marked grave is all that remains of the original Smithfield cemetery gazetted in December 1878.
This cemetery is the only evidence still in existence of the once thriving and boisterous settlement of Smithfield, established nearby on the North bank of the Barron river in November 1876 and named in honour of pathfinder William Smith.
The town withstood several major floods in it's short existence before becoming deserted in 1881 in favour of Port Douglas where Christie Palmerston had discovered a better dray road over the coastal range.
More information :
Cairns region: Old Smithfield Cemetery
Find a grave: Smithfield Cemetery Cairns (defunct)
Trove (NLA): Old Smithfield township 1876 to 1879 : a story of a township that was created to be the port on the Barron River / the story is told by Aubrey John Walters
Photographed: July 2016
Displayed images are scaled down to fit on the screen, but full-size images can be obtained by clicking.
Latitude -16.864736666666, Longitude 145.693535000000
Latitude -16° 51’ 53", Longitude 145° 41’ 37"