Kingston Pioneer Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Kingston Pioneer Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions



Kingston Pioneer Cemetery, Logan City


Address: Bega Road, Kingston, Logan City
Opened: approx. 1896
# graves: ~16

Kingston Pioneer Cemetery, Bega Road ( two separate lots)

Land was set aside in January 1893, with trustees of Charles Kingston, Steven Rogers, Thomas Armstrong, Alan James Campbell, and Alfred William Kingston appointed in July 1893. The whereabouts of the cemetery register is unknown.

This cemetery comprises two parcels of land located either side of the entrance to Kingston College. The smaller section is believed to be the Catholic section. Headstones date between 1896 and 1941. As many local people could not afford headstones, it is impossible to know the exact number of burials at the site. A newspaper report has led to the identification of one unmarked grave - that of Kuraby resident William Dellitt who died in May 1923. Prominent local families including Charles and Harriet Kingston, John and Emily Mayes, the Armstrongs, Cordingleys, Laughlins and Seeleithers are buried at Kingston Pioneer Cemetery.
Charles and Harriet Kingston originally lived in a slab hut at Tygum before taking up land at Scrubby Creek in 1872. His first house 'Oakwood' was the receiving office for the mail from 1884 during the construction of the South Coast Railway. Once the railway opened in 1885 the station assumed the name of Kingston and the mail was received from the railway station. The second house the family built at 'Oakwood' remains on site overlooking Jacaranda Avenue. Charles Kingston died in 1904 and Harriet died in 1911.
John and Emily Mayes lived to the north of the Kingstons and took up their land in 1873. They also lived in a slab hut for many years, and it remains on site at Mayes Cottage at 36 Mawarra Street. In late 1888 the family built a new home which they called 'Pleasant Place', locally known as Mayes Cottage. John Mayes died in 1908 and Emily in 1933.
John and Mabel Cordingley ran the Kingston store and blacksmith, William Laughlin was the clerk of the Waterford Shire Council. The Seeleithers farmed at Park Ridge, and Bill Seeliether ran one of the early sawmills in Woodridge.
Extracted from Logan City link below

More information about
Logan City Cemetery Lists
Kingston Pioneer Cemetery with transcriptions.
Logan - final resting places.

Photographed: 12 Feb 2006


Displayed images are scaled down to fit on the screen, but full-size images can be obtained by clicking.


All the photos,
Names in alphabetical order,
All the cemeteries