This cemetery is the last resting place for some of Kingston's pioneering men and women. This main section contains 19 known graves, the smaller area to the left of the school entrance is believed to contain Catholic graves. The first burial was of Frances Armstrong in 1896, and the last burial is of Ann Cordinly in 1941.
[Photo caption] The Mayes family, Emily, Josiah, Rachel, Mary, Leonard and John, pictured in 1891. John and family are buried here. The Mayes named their property "Pleasant Place" believed to be a biblical refernce to the Garden of Eden, as their successful selection produced a bountiful variety of produce. Visit Mayes Cottage, now occupied by the Logan Creativity Centre, at 36 Mawarra Street, Kingston, on the Logan Trail.
The Logan region was first opened for selection in 1961.
The Mayes and Kingston families were among the first settlers and they took up land next to each other at Scrubby Creek, now known as Kingston.
Kingston Pioneer Cemetery is beting restored by Logan City Council.
Signage funding by The Queensland Community History Grants