A town was surveyed and allotments advertised for sale, 6 December, 1860, near the Long Waterhole outstation on the Jondaryan station. It was called Bown in honour of the Governor, Sir George Bown, who passed through the area around that time. However the name was changed to Bowenville in 1862 because the name of Bowen was taken by the settlement on Port Denison in North Queensland.
George Boyland was Chairman of the Tamborine Shire Council at the time of his death. The area gained its name through the naming of the train station after the Boyland family.
This is supposed to have been the native name for a scrub on the D'Aguilar Range.
The Ferguson family called their property Bracken Ridge because the area was covered with a good growth of bracken. This long, coarse fern which goes by the scientific name of Pteridium esculentum, is poisonous to cattle. When the area was subdivided during the great land boom of the 1880s the developer called the subdivision Bracken Ridge Estate.
John Bray was a Shire Councillor in the Pine Rivers Shire from May 1946 to March 1973, and at the time that he retired was the longest serving Shire Chairman in the state. His father, Thomas Nathaniel Bray, had moved into the district in 1900. After leasing property for a few years he bought his own dairy farm on Gympie Road, a farm which John later took over.
The name of this Ipswich suburb, which from 1860 to 1917 was a separate local government area, goes back to 6 October, 1851 when used by the surveyor James Warner.
Thursday, 16 September, 1824, John Oxley, Alan Cunningham and
Lieutenant Butler, with nine boatmen and servants, travelling in two
boats, left the brig
Amity moored off Redcliffe Point and rowed to the mouth of the
Brisbane River. They travelled upstream to the head of what Oxley
called Sea Reach and camped the night at a grassy spot on the bank
there. Four of the local Aboriginal inhabitants came around as they
were setting up camp. The country was in the grip of drought, and a
reedy swamp nearby linked to the river by a creek had dried up. The
only water they found was brackish and undrinkable, so they had to open
their water cask that evening.
Named by Lieutenant James Cook, 1770.
Bremer River was named by the explorer John Oxley in 1824 after Captain
James John Gordon Bremer RN whom he had met in Sydney shortly before
coming north on the trip to establish the new settlement at Moreton
Bay. Bremer, in command of the
Tamar, was on his way to select a site for a trading
settlement somewhere along the northern coast of what is now the
Northern Territory. The idea was to set up a trading post which would
allow British incursions into the rich East Indies trade. The whole
scheme was a fiasco, but Bremer believed in it and recommended a site
on Melville Island. After Fort Dundas there failed, the British tried
again at Fort Wellington. Later he was sent out in charge of yet a
third attempt, this time at Port Victoria. It fared no better.
are not many place names which perpetuate the names of convicts, but
Bribie Island is one of
them, according to Thomas Welby. Bribie may have been the man's
nickname, although some give his name at
Brieby. Some have suggested that he got his name from the way he bought
privileges from the authorities. It seems he supplied them with fish.
Bridgeman Downs was named in 1975 after Henry StJohn Bridgemen who owned a considerable portion of land there, but he never lived there. He worked for the Customs Department and held property around Boondall as well as this property between the suburbs of Albany Creek and Aspley which he bought in 1860 and sold to the Catholic Church in 1877 who eventually subdivided it in 1957.
The railway siding near Yandina was named in 1918 after Major-General William T. Bridges, commander of the Australian Imperial Forces, who died of wounds at Gallipoli 1915. For the previous seven years it had been called Ninderry by Queensland Railways.