George Griffin married Janet Taylor at Stromness in the Orkneys, 13 October, 1812, and the couple moved to the Cape of Good Hope where most of their family of three boys and two girls were born. George worked at a trading post there and then was given command of trading vessels.
Cook's description of this geographical feature lingers on as a name.
It is thought that the name comes from wudha or wootha,
Aboriginal for red cedar.
The name derived from George Wight who, with his son, took over land here in the later 1860s, but the first settler was Henry Howard Payne after whom Payne Road at The Gap is named and who was a founder of the Royal Brisbane Show.
In its Aboriginal origins the word meant the junction of two creeks.
Queensland Railways say they named their station after willows growing by an adjacent creek.
Captain Logan named this mountain after a friend of his, Captain Wilson, Director of Public Works in Sydney, 1827.
It is thought that the Toowoomba suburb
of Wilsonton was named after a 19th century Toowoomba businessman, James
The Irish-born William Wilson was 36 years of age and well started on his career as a mercantile agent in Brisbane when in 1868 he bought 46 acres from William Lovell who had originally received it as a grant from the Crown. He married Eliza Coutts and built a house on the property which he called Wilston House. It saw a number of occupants over the years. In the 1880s land around there was sold as Wilston Estate, and in December 1929, Charles Elliot and Sons auctioned blocks for what they called the Wilston Hill Estate. Thus came into existence the suburb of Wilston. William Wilson was a member of the Queensland Legislative Council from January 1874 to June 1878. He died 1903.
The meaning is not known, but it used
to be the name of a large sugar plantation managed by William Stanley
Around the time of Queen Victoria's jubilee in 1887 there was a strong pro-royalty sentiment in the community, and this is reflected in the naming of subdivisions which took place around that time. The name
Jubilee was given to a development between Bardon and Ashgrove where we still have Jubilee Terrace, but also about the same time there was the opening up of a subdivision called Windsor, a reference to the royal residence in Berkshire, England. Windsor Castle has been the home of royalty for longer than any other building in the world.