The falls gained their name from Undercliffe run, named after the home town on Mr Speering on the Isle of Wight.
The William Underwood after whom the area is named owned land there from the 1870s and also owned an hotel at Eight Mile Plains.
In the Kabi Kabi language this word referred to small white shells. Another interpretation is that it referred to the dugong (yuangan).
The area formerly of the old Yandina Cattle Run and opened up for closer settlement 1868 was at one time known as Golden Valley.
Named after David G. Verrier, an early settler.
Named after Queen Victoria. See Queensland.
The suburb of Virginia was named after Virginia, the first permanent English settlement in America. This state seceded from the United States, 17 April, 1861, and became part of the southern confederacy. Robert E. Lee, the prominent leader of the Confederate forces in the Civil War which raged from 1861 to 1865 was from Virginia.
Wacol is a composite word made up from the words weigh and coal. Coal used to be weighed there on the Ipswich railway line. It was named by the Railway Department in 1927.
The homestead of this name was taken up by H. Stone and D. McAusland, 27 November, 1879.
It seems that the name comes from the Aboriginal wallan meaning water and guran meaning long. The reference then was to a lagoon. Prior to that name being used it was referred to as The Dog Trap because a stone trap for catching dingoes that had been built there.
The Queensland Department of Natural Resources and Mines web site (http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/property/placenames) suggests that the name might have been chosen after that part of Belgium that is French-speaking.
Travelers north on the old northern road after leaving the Caboolture River at what is now called Upper Caboolture had as their next stop a store operated by Joseph Bell at Wararba. When a banana plantation was established there and the railway like went through it gained the name of Wamuran after a local Aboriginal leader known by the whites also as Jackie Delaney. Delaney’s Creek is a nearby district to this day.
Juandah station was established in the wake of Leichhardt's exploration of the area in 1844. When the railway line was put through (1914) the township was still known as Juandah, but this could be confused with another place, Jundah, so it was changed to Wandoan in 1927.
Of Gubbi Gubbi origin, wappa means slow or gentle.
Waraba was the local Aboriginal term for a bora ring and for the ceremonies conducted there.
The Queensland Railways says that the Aboriginal name is Warra Warra and refers to an Aboriginal woman carrying a bundle.
The Aboriginal name for the creek has been retained. The word simply means water. Warrill View is derived from the name of the creek. In its Aboriginal origins the name meant the junction of two creeks.
It is commonly assumed that the town of Warwick on the Darling Downs was named after the city of Warwick in England, but in reality it was named after a character in a novel. Warwick the Kingmaker in Lord Lytton's The Last of the Barons, published 1843, fought against the tide of social change which saw the English barons losing their power, and he held a particular significance for Patrick and George Leslie when their squatter's 'principality' was being broken up and they were required to suggest a name for the village being planned on part of their old Canning Downs station.