Stapylton was the surveyor killed by Aboriginals in the early years of the Moreton Bay penal settlement.
The German birthplace of Ferdinand Kleinschmidt who came to the Pimpama area with his parents, Carl and Justine Kleinschmidt, at the age of fourteen in 1863 is commemorated by this name, although in Germany the name is Stegelitz. Through the prosperity of his farm and sugar mill he was able to acquire a considerable area of land there.
The name was gazetted 1 June, 1981 and boundaries amended 19 May 1995. Thomas Blacket Stepphens, apart from being a wealthy newspaper proprietor and member of parliament, owned land in this area from 1861. In 2002 this area was amalgamated with Andrews and some of Robina to form Varsity Lakes.
Wil Elworthy and his brother-in-law
George Hawkins took up land in this area in 1863 and named their property after
the Ellowrthy home in Devon.
This area was named after James Stone, who was born in Somerset in 1838 and came to Brisbane on the sailing ship,
Mount Pleasant, 1857. In that same year he bought an acre of
land there for a hundred pounds from Mrs
Klumpp. He married Mary Ann Clayton of England in 1872. Failing
to get a liquor licence, he sold ginger beer from his Ginger Beer
Storm King was the name of the ship on which John Yaldwyn and James Ross travelled to Moreton Bay arriving 6 February 1872. They named both their tin mine and a nearby mountain after the ship. Then later the Stanthorpe Shire Council water supply dam was given the same name.
John Douglas Storey, born Edinburgh in Scotland, came to Queensland as a child and after education at Brisbane Grammar and the Brisbane Technical College entered the Queensland public service. He was Under-Secretary for the Department of Education 1906-1920 when he became Public Service Commissioner, 1920-1939. Among other things, he worked for the establishment of the University of Queensland and was a foundation member of its senate.
The bridge was designed by Dr John J.
C. Bradfield and built by Evans, Deakin-Hornibrook Constructions Pty Ltd..
Government Order No. 27 from
the Colonial Secretary's office, dated 16 July, 1827, says, 'His
Excellency the Governor has been pleased to direct that the island,
forming the southern boundary of the eastern channel into Moreton Bay
shall be designated the Isle of Stradbroke in compliment to the
J.H.Rous, commanding His Majesty's ship, Rainbow, the first
ship of war which entered Moreton Bay.' Captain Rous was the second son
of the Earl of Stradbroke, and the order came after Rous had charted
parts of the bay not hitherto mapped and on the recommendation of the
Commandant at Moreton Bay, Captain Patrick Logan.
Rous Channel in the bay still preserves his name. Later in life, Rous became the
'czar of horse racing' in Great Britain.
The Scottish word strath means
a valley, so Strathpine describes an area which is in the valley of the
Pine Rivers. W.H.Bowden marketed it in the 1960s as 'Little Aspley'.
The first major industry in the area was rum distillery owned by Owen
Gardner and Sons. It was first operated near the mouth of the river and
received molasses from the cane growing areas south of Brisbane, but it
moved upstream to what is now Strathpine around 1908. It ceased
operation in 1968.
George Stretton who was born near Derby, England, 1827, became the first postmaster at Brown's Plains.
The developer, Villa World Ltd, chose this name for their development adjacent to Warner Brothers Movie World, 1990, and named the streets in keeping with that association.
Carl and Millie Stumer migrated from Germany in the 1870s, and
after living near Rosewood and later in the Goodnight Scrub between Gin Gin and
Mt Perry moved to Yandina Creek in 1906. Over subsequent years the family owned
several different properties in the Coolum area. When Robert Abbott, assisted by
Fred Stumer, did the survey work for a subdivision prior to World War I, he
submitted the name of Stumers Creek for a small creek that ran past the northern
boundary of what was then the Stumer farm.
The industrial suburb
developed by Hooker Centenary gained its name from a pre-existing road.
It is not known who the road was named after. Probably an English
migrant of the late 1880s.
The Gillespies named their fruit farm
Sunnybank after the village in England from which they came.
People looking at the
high-rise buildings of Surfers Paradise today might not be surprised to
learn that its original name meant, the place of the ant.
(Umbi-gumbi in the Aboriginal language.) J.H.C.Meyer acquired land
there in 1876 and established a sugar plantation and crushing mill near
the Nerang River and ran a ferry over the river. In 1888 he built a
hotel at what was then called
Elston. That name was the maiden name of the postmaster's wife at
Southport, bequeathed to the area when it needed a distinct postal
This tributary of the Mary River was named after Susan Colbourne who married William Jones, 10 April, 1869.
Suttons Beach See Redcliffe.