It's not hard to guess at the origin of this name - it was so named because from it one could obtain views of the Brisbane River.


Dr William Nathaniel Robertson died in 1938, but his name lives on in the suburb named after him. He was born in Edinburgh, 1866, the son of a Presbyterian minister, Rev. Peter Robertson. He was only 6 when his parents moved to Queensland and he was left in the care of grandparents, but when he graduated in medicine from the University of Edinburgh he joined them and took up general practice at Ipswich. After some years he became an ear, nose and throat specialist, establishing that department at the Mater Hospital and gaining a reputation as an excellent surgeon. He was a director of the Australasian Medical Publishing Company, and during his twelve years as Vice Chancellor of the University of Queensland worked hard for the setting up of the Medical School. In his obituary, he is described as being an 'engaging, virile, energetic, kindly and cheerful personality.'


When Associated Securities failed in 1978, tenders were called for its Merrimac estate. The highest bidder was the Singapore-based Robina Land Corporation led in its efforts by Robin Loh who went into partnership with Arthur Earl of Earl Enterprises Pty Ltd to develop Robina City. See Merrimac.


Although William Roche and Kate McDermott were both born in Ireland, they married in Brisbane, 1867, and took up land in this area. They had one son, Thomas Joseph, born 1872, and, in time, he also established his home in the area. He called his home Rochedale and from this came the name for the suburb.


The name became official, 9 July, 1884. It was derived from the earlier description which gave the name for the area, Rocky Water Holes. One could stand upon a large rock to look down on the water holes.


The suburb gets its name from property named by J. F. McDougall, the second owner of Milton House, probably after his Darling Downs property, Rosalie Plains.

Rosalie  Plains                                                                                      

Rosalie Plains was first settled in 1848. After six months Robert Ramsay brought the Hon. Louis Hope into partnership with him. Later owners were Kent and Wienholt, A Campbell and J. F. McDougall  (See Milton)       

Rosalie  Shire                                                               

The local government area proclaimed in 1878 gained its name from Rosalie Plains station.  


Rosemount was the home of Sir Maurice O.Connell that later became a repatriation hospital.


Of German origin, the name was given to his property by Patrick Bracker, about 1842.  He came from Rosenthal, near Mechlenberg and  brought out with him 220 merino sheep from the flock of Prince Esterhazy of Silesia.  The name was allotted to the creek in 1864. prior to that it had been known as German Creek and Bracker's Creek.


The name is said to be a corruption of Rossvale. Ross was a pastoralist who grazed stock in the area during the drought of 1853. 


The name had been used for a township on the Ipswich to Grandchester railway line from the 1860s. It comes from the rosewood or rose mahogany (Dysoxylum fraseranum) which grew well in the area prior to the widespread felling of these trees for their valuable timber and to make way for the agricultural pursuits of the farmers who settled in the area. 


On the 7th July, 1926, a significant tree-planting ceremony took place at Redcliffe. The Governor-General, Lord Stonehaven, and Lady Stonehaven were present for the planting of the first trees in what was intended to be an avenue which was to have lined either side of the road all the way from Redcliffe to Kedron Bridge. This was called Anzac Avenue as its purpose was to commemorate the soldiers who had died in the First World War. It never was completed, but a significant section came to provide a pleasing approach to Redcliffe from the west. T.J.Rothwell was the Chairman of the Anzac Memorial Committee, and some of the area through which that avenue passed has now been given his name. 

Runaway Bay

The name for this canal development of the late 1960s and early 1970s was chosen by Neil McCowan and his advertising agent, John Garnsey.


Rev. J. McLaren named the area after his birthplace, Runcorn in Cheshire, England. There it originally meant a wide bay or roomy cove. It has been officially recognized since 1887. 

Russell Island

James Warner, surveyor, was commissioned to produce maps for the area south of Brisbane, and it was Warner who gave the name to Russell Island, naming it after Lord John Russell who  was British Secretary of State for the Colonies in the 1840s. Early maps show the spelling as Russel. It was re-surveyed in the 1860s and the first blocks were bought in 1871.

Russell first entered parliament at the age of 21 but lost an election by one vote in 1830 when the Wesleyans campaigned against him for some disparaging remarks he had made about prayer. Although this gave him the opportunity to develop his other interest, literature, it did not keep him out of politics for long. He was interested in reform of the criminal law and in prison reform. He was opposed to the transportation of convicts, and was particularly opposed to assigning convicts to private landholders for he saw this as a form of slavery, and he was strongly opposed to all forms of slavery. As leader of the Whigs, he twice served as Prime Minister of England. 

Previous page                                               Next page

Place Names of South East Queensland home page