Lieutenant Bligh took up land in this area in 1860 and called it Caroora. For a couple of years after the railway line was built the rail stop was called Cooroora siding.  The nearby mountain is still called Cooroora Mountain. The railway and postal authorities found it confusing having Cooran, Cooroora and Cooroy so close together, so the Railway Department changed the name to Pinbarren Siding. This lasted until 1906 when the Pinbarren Progress Association was invited to suggest a new name and they chose Pomona. Pomona was the Roman goddess of fruit and fruit trees. This name was being promoted well before it was officially adopted. The Under Secretary for Lands used it as far back as 6 March, 1900. 


A retired officer from the Indian Army called his property Poona after the colonial resort area in India.


The name was given to this area on the Granite Belt when land was opened up for soldier settlement in 1918. The name was transplanted from northern France where it had become well known to many Australian soldiers as a battleground during the First World War. 


There are a couple of different explanations given for the origin of this name. One suggests that it was named after a Catholic priest, Father Enright, who while on his way to visit some of his parishioners became lost in the area which came to be called Priest Gully. The other is that it was named after a timber-getter by the name of Priest. 


Pullenvale gained its name from Pullen Pullen Creek, of Aboriginal origin. 

Pumicestone Passage

Matthew Flinders did not realize that what we now call Bribie Island was an island. On 16 July, 1799, he proceeded up the opening which he called a river, leading towards the Glass House Peaks and found a quantity of pumicestone lying along the highwater mark on the eastern shore of the 'river', but was not able to proceed further upstream because of the rush of water with the ebb tide. he called the passage Pumice Stone River because of this find.

In 1822 both John Bingle in the Sally and William Edwardson in the Snapper sailed separately into the passage.  Mangroves, sandbanks and mudflats prevented them from travelling right through it, but Bingle believed it was not a river while Edwardson thought that it was. John Oxley in the following year also visited the area and spoke of Pumice Stone River.   


The 18-year-old Victoria came to the English throne at a time when the future of the convict settlement at Moreton Bay was under question (1837) and when the possibility of free settlement was being advocated. By the time the colony was separated from New South Wales (1859), Queen Victoria and Albert, her Prince Consort, were held in high regard and affection by her subjects around the world. In spite of John Dunmore Lang's advocacy of Cooksland as the name for the new colony, patriotic fervour won out and Queensland in honour of Queen Victoria it became.

Victoria's reign can be viewed in four stages. Initially she was an excitable, emotional and impulsive young woman who had to rely heavily on her uncle, King Leopold of Belgium, and her Prime Minister, Lord Melbourne. But she took her position seriously and showed herself strong willed, even obstinate at times.

Her marriage with the German Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha proved to be a very happy one. His gentleness, patience, logicality and kindness complemented her qualities admirably. His quiet consistency and self-control helped her through her rages of temper and periods of irritability. In spite of the initial British objection to having a foreigner so close to the throne, he came to be her private secretary and advisor as well as her lover and the father of her nine children. The period from 1851 to his death in December 1861 was a period of popularity both for Victoria and Albert and for the institution of the monarchy.

After Albert's death she went into a long period of mourning which really was a severe depression. This ten year period of seclusion saw a decline in her popularity, but from around 1871 onwards to her death in January of 1901 she was, by now plump but still diminutive, the highly respected and much loved sovereign of her people. 


The Daly Brothers (James, Patrick and John, sons of John Daly of Brymaroo) took up land here and named the creek, and the township surveyed in 1897, Quinalow after a small town in Ireland. 

Previous page                                                  Next page

Place Names of South East Queensland home page