Place Names of South-East Queensland





Although Tom Petrie said that the name comes from pilba, a butcher bird,  it seems likely that it could come from barilba, a small green crab with red claws, or bagilba, diamond-shaped fish scale which was used in decoration on shields or bagill, place of mullet.


The Pikedale run was registered to Captain John Pike, 1843-44.  


Named by Joseph King.


The name comes from Peempeema, Aboriginal word meaning place of the peewee.

Pine Mountain

In September of 1824, Oxley, Cunningham and Butler were impressed by the Araucaria tree species which grew on the hills around here and so united in using the designation Pine. They referred to it variously as Pine Ridge, Pine Hills and the Pine Range, but it is Pine Mountain that has stuck. Oxley spoke of 'the Pine Hill being clothed with an almost impervious vegetation to its very summit.' 

Pine Rivers

Under instructions from the Governor to look for a suitable site for a convict settlement, John Oxley sailed north from Sydney in the cutter Mermaid toward the end of 1823. He sailed as far as Port Curtis and on the way back explored Moreton Bay. There he was surprised to find a white man living with the natives on what later came to be called Bribie Island. This was Thomas Pamphlett. The next day he met up with John Finnegan, another of the castaways who lived with the natives around Moreton Bay for seven months. They told him of a very large river flowing into the bay, but when Finnegan tried to take Oxley there he mistakenly directed him up a smaller river to the north of the big one. This mistake was only realized after rowing some considerable distance upstream. This mistake prompted Oxley to call it Deception River, and others to refer to it as the Blind River, but after Alan Cunningham and John Oxley, twelve months later, travelled up it to procure spars cut from the hoop pine trees growing along its banks, it came to be called the Pine River.

These trees (Araucaria cunninghamii) drew much attention from the early maritime explorers. Governor Darling, like Cunningham and Oxley, was intrigued by their size and shape. They were valued as a useful source of timber especially for the topmasts of ships. The first export from Brisbane Town was a consignment of pine logs sent out in 1825.

Since there are two major arms to this river, they came to be known as the North Pine and the South Pine Rivers, and Pine Rivers is now the name for the local government authority.  

Pinjarra Hills

The name is clearly of Aboriginal origin, but its Aboriginal meaning us not known.  


On occasions, the later inhabitants have misplaced Aboriginal place names. This happened to Pinken-ba, the place of tortoises. It originally referred to what we now call New Farm, and the Aboriginal people referred to the area now known as Pinkenba as Dumben, a kind of tree fern.  


In 1876 Tyson Doneley built the Beauaraba Hotel and the township was at first known as Beauaraba, but in 1915 the name was changed to Pittsworth in honour of a family by the name of Pitts who had owned Grantham Station


Some places got their names from a description of the countryside given by an early explorer. Plainland was one of these. Alan Cunningham remarked on the flat, wooded country and plain land in 1829 while exploring the Lockyer Valley country.  

Point Arkwright

This headland on the Sunshine Coast is named after Sir Richard Arkwright, inventor of cotton spinning machinery 1769.

Point Cartwright

This point was named Point Raper by Lieutenant Heath ,1861, but was subsequently named after Edmund Cartwright, the inventor of weaving and combing machinery back in 1786.

Point Danger

Point Danger was so named by Lieutenant (later Captain) Cook on his 1770 journey up the east coast of Australia to warn later mariners of dangers to be encountered from the rocks and shoals in the area. He was forced to make a sharp turn toward the east to avoid these. The distant mountain he called Mt Warning.  

Point Lookout

In naming Point Lookout, Lieutenant James Cook, 1770, drew attention to the dangers of sailing along that coast and indicated the need for navigators to be on the lookout for a reef away to the north. The reef proved to be a rock, and in 1799 Lieutenant Matthew Flinders sailed between Point Lookout and the small, flat, rocky island that he marked on his chart as Flat Rock. There was some discrepancy between the bearings given by Cook and those given by Flinders for Point Lookout, but there is no doubt that they both saw the same point of land. Neither realized that it was on an island. They thought it was part of the mainland.  

Point Perry

Point Perry at Coolum was named after William Perry-Keene who with his wife Maud and family moved to Coolum in 1905.  For about seven years in the 1920s , when the main transport used by visitors was by converted cane train, they ran the Green Hills guest house and kiosk there. They came from England after he fought in the Boer War in South Africa. Green Hills was burnt down in 1929.

Previous page                                             Next page

Place Names of South East Queensland home page