Pacific Paradise Development Pty Ltd gave this promotional name to their Sunshine Coast development in 1959.
When Europeans first started to live in this area it was referred to vaguely as 'back of the gaol' being on the other side of the prison from Brisbane Town. Mr B.Clay called his farm Paddington after his birthplace in England, and when the farm was subdivided in the 1860s the name was given to the estate. Paddington in London, which goes back at least as far as 1045, by derivation means Padda's farm, whoever Padda might have been!
Originally part of The Blunder region this Brisbane suburb has been given a name of Aboriginal origin, however it was probably not from the locally spoken language. Some say that it means flat country.
The Palm Beach Company Ltd bought
William Wood's property south of Tallebudgera Creek around 1921 and the first
allotments from this subdivision were available the next year.
The Kuskopf property of Merriman's
Flats gave the area its first European name, then when the railway came
through, 1891, the station was called Palmtree, the reference being to the
piccabeen palms growing in the area. This was later changed to Palmwoods.
Originally part of the area known as
Logan Ridges, the Post office took the name of Park Ridge in the early 1890s.
Henry Waterworth Parkinson was a railway engineer. His book,
From Capitalism to Freedom, published in 1924, argues the case for what he called guild socialism.
Passchendale Ridge was one of the places where Australian soldiers fought against the German armies in 1914 and was then chosen for the highest point on the Amiens branch line when the land was opened up for soldier settlement after the war.
The area was part of the Archers'
Durandur run. At a spot near the Stanley River where bullockies and timber getters used to camp a number of peach trees came up so that it came to be known locally as Peach Trees. From this came the name of Peachester for the
town that grew up around Grigor's sawmill from 1899.
Matthew Flinders marked a peak on his map which subsequent explorers and settlers referred to as Flinder's peak or Peak Mountain. A property in the area held by W.Wilson
and later by William Winks was called Peak Mountain Station. When part of this area was turned over to cotton growing the settlement which grew up at a crossing on Purga Creek was called Peak Crossing.