The name comes from the Aboriginal mie meaning a view or lookout. It was first used of the area now known as Ocean View. Mt Mee itself was originally known by the Aboriginal work for flying squirrel or glider, Dahmongah, but when the Ocean View settlers abandoned the name it was taken up by their northern neighbours on the mountain. It was red cedar which brought the first Europeans to the area, and it was carried out by bullock team to Caboolture by way of Top Yard Road so named because a bullock yard was built there for holding the beasts overnight.
Mellum is reported to be an Aboriginal word for volcano.
This part of the Bunya Mountains carries a name of Aboriginal origin meaning bald head, a reference to the "balds" or treeless areas in the forest there. Archibald Meston said that the Waccah speaking people of the Bunya Mountains called it "Mow-bullam" while the Aboriginal tribespeople from the Brisbane River area called it Mohgilahn with the same meaning.
The Mt Nebo community developed after the subdivision of Highlands Station, 1919, into soldier settlement blocks. According to the Bible, Moses, who led the people of Israel out of slavery in Egypt, did not lead them into the Promised Land, but he did get a look at the land from the top of Mr Nebo in Moab, on the eastern side of the Jordan River. Mt Nebo was a place with an excellent view of the Promised Land.
Formed from the Aboriginal word
nyindur, meaning leeches.
John Oxley, while on his initial journey up the Brisbane River, camped nearby and climbed this hill that he called Green Hill and took bearings from its summit. But it gained its present name, and hence so did the suburb, from the young man whom Dr Stephen Simpson of Wolston House hoped would inherit his property. Having no children of his own Simpson hoped that his sister's grandson would inherit it, but it was not to be. Young J.M.Ommaney RN mounted a spirited horse one day and galloped across the open country toward this hill on the property but the animal threw its rider when it put its foot in a hole in the ground and the young man was killed.
Mount Tyson on the Darling Downs is named after James Tyson of one of the earliest settler families in New South Wales. When he died at the age of 75 he left an estate valued at 2.5 million pounds. At one time he offered the Queensland Government a loan of a million pounds for the construction of a transcontinental railway. It was not taken up.
Mount Warren Park
This suburban area near Beenleigh gains its name from the nearby Mt Warren, which in turn takes its name from William Stanley Warren, a sugar grower in the area from around 1867.
At one stage the name Wicky Up was
suggested for the development in this area, but it has taken its name from the
creek that flows from Buderim Mountain into the Mooloolah River.
Rev. Thomas Mowbray was one of Brisbane'e early Presbyterian ministers. He was born at Hamilton, Scotland, 1812, went to University of Glasgow, came to Australia in 1841, went first to a charge in the Port Phillip District and then to one in Sydney. Following a breakdown in health he came to Brisbane. He established a school in the grounds of his home Riversdale, now Mowbray Park. The extensive area of land which he bought around there was later subdivided and a suburb, for a while known as Mowbraytown, was formed. He died at the age of 55.
The Aboriginal name for Mud island was
The name is Aboriginal in origin but there is no agreement as to its meaning. According to the Queensland State Railways, it means low-lying
ground, but other suggestions refer to infants' excrement, sticky soil or the
telling of lies. The township grew up around the hotel in the 1890s. It was on the old
Murry Jerry lease issued 1852 to Alfred William Compigne who held other runs in the Albert River area.
Compigne, a native of Hampshire, England, had come to Queensland in 1846 at the age of 28.
The Kabi Kabi name for the small bush
myrtus tenuifolia that bears edible, sweet, white berries with a green spot on them, which grows along sandy areas near the sea was
mudjim or midyim. And when the suffix ba, meaning place of, is added to it you have a word meaning the place of the mudjim bushes. This was the Aboriginal name for the island which is also called Old Woman Island off Mudjimba Beach, north of the Maroochy River. There is an Aboriginal legend about how the moon came into existence. It includes an account of some women becoming stranded on the island. They lived on into old age, but people from the mainland ever only saw one woman at a time so thought there was only the one there.
E.P.Bouverie took up the
Mundubbera run in 1848 across the river from the present town. It seems that the name came from two Aboriginal words:
munda, meaning a foot, and burra, meaning a step, and referred to the practice of making cuts in trees to make climbing of them easier. However some give the meaning as 'the meeting of the waters'.
European settlement of the area dates from 1843 when the Barambah holding was taken up. It was first used for sheep, but then changed over to cattle. When timber started to be hauled out of the forests on Boat Mountain the bullockies used to rest their beasts on the property by a waterhole covered with water-lilies, and this spot acquired the Aboriginal name for the type of water-lily which grew there, murgon. The rough camp developed into a properly surveyed and gazetted town.
The local government area gets its name
from Murilla run, an early pastoral lease.
It's hard to imagine it today, but in the latter part of the 19th century Murphy's Creek was a thriving business centre with tannery and bootmaker, blacksmith, bacon factory, woolscour, brickyards, pit sawmill, stone quarries, two stores, a butcher, two hotels and a bakery, a police station, court house and three churches. There were over a hundred children in the school. The settlement grew up when the railway line was being built through to Toowoomba. It was, at first, called Fingal, but was later known by the name of the nearby creek, and the creek had been named after Peter Murphy who had built his out station on the Helidon run there in 1841.