Mary Cairncross Park
The sixty acres of rainforest which her daughters gave to the Landsborough Shire Council are now adminstered by the Caloundra City Council and carry Mrs A.J.Thyne's
When the three young gentlemen, Matthew Marsh, Charles Marsh and Charles Perrot, imbibed too heavily in rum to bolster their courage against an expected Aboriginal attack which did not, in fact, occur, they gave to the place the name of Merrylands. Matthew Marsh later changed it to Maryland.
Originally the name of a pastoral
holding belonging to the Wienholt family.
Patrick Mayne, erratic and unstable in behaviour, grew prosperous through his Queen Street butchering business and land acquisitions. One of his properties gave his name to a part of Brisbane where extensive railway yards came to be built. The generous donation
by two of his children, James and Mary Emelia, of the purchase price for the land on which the University of Queensland is built at St Lucia is commemorated by the naming of the Mayne Hall.
The suburb is named after Ambrose McDowall, a landowner in the area. McDowall gave the name of his house Everton to neighbouring suburbs.
Meadowbrook was gazetted as a place
name in October 1991 although the estate had been marketed under the name of
The name is formed from the English word meander which in turn comes from the name of a river in Turkey. An aerial view of the Brisbane River twisting and turning on its way to Moreton Bay well illustrates the meaning of the word.
The area now called Meldale was once owned by Major Mellish and the name derives from the first syllable of his name.
The meaning is given by Queensland Railways as scrubby tree.
Richard and William Westaway named
their property Meridan Plains in the 1860s. It had some connection with their
father's home county of Devon.
The name is a corruption of the Aboriginal words Moorin Gandan, meaning fire clay.
This part of the Gold Coast was named
after the cutter Mermaid which carried Oxley, Stirling and Uniacke from
Sydney in 1823.
Behind the name of Merrimac stands the Stephens family. Thomas Stephens had made his money out of newspapers and wool when he took up a large tract of mostly low-lying land along by the Nerang River in 1876. He had been the second Mayor of Brisbane, and for the last two years of his life was a member of the Queensland Legislative Council. He died the following year at the age of 58 leaving the property to his wife, Anne, but it was his son, William, who was mainly instrumental in developing his dream of draining the swamps and turning them into good agricultural land.
Named after an Allied victory in the First World War.
Samuel Griffith's rise from poverty in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, to wealth and prominence as a Queensland judge, Australian statesman and Father of Federation, is represented by the name he gave to his Brisbane house with its spacious riverside grounds,
The Miami Shore development took place
prior to the Great Depression in the 1920s. The Hotel Miami opened 1925.
Some people called the area One Eye after an Aboriginal shepherd who had only one good eye, but the Aboriginal term for one-eye came to be accepted.
The teamsters used to graze their bullocks and horses on the ridge between East and West Creeks in the 1860s and from this time on the area which is now a suburb of Toowoomba was known by this name.