The Aboriginal name for Long Pocket in Brisbane was Tuwong, meaning koel cuckoo.
The pioneer pastoralist, William Duckett White, and his wife Jane started building the house at Manly which they called
Lota after her home in Cork, Ireland, in 1855. They occupied it in 1863.
Both William and Jane were Irish. They came to Sydney with two children in 1840. He had several positions over the next few years including that of school teacher and property manager, but it was the move north to manage Beaudesert Station for his cousin, J.P.Robinson, that brought them into the Moreton Bay area. He bought Beaudesert and then went on to acquire a vast area of land between Beaudesert and the coast. Later he expanded his pastoral interests into North Queensland where he successfully pioneered the Devon Shorthorn cross. He was a foundation member of the prestigious Queensland Club, sat for a short time on the Legislative Council but was not really interested in politics. He died in August 1893 at the age of 86, six years after his wife. He was a staunch supporter of the Anglican Church at Tingalpa.
The name was suggested by the low brigalow scrub in the district and was given to it by the Railway Department in 1884. The area had previously been known as The Scrub and the school as, first, Upper Tarampa, and then Cairnhill.
Luggage is said to have been some sort of corruption of the name Uniacke, who accompanied Oxley and Stirling on their voyage to Moreton Bay, 1823.
Luscombe was the name of Frederick
Shaw's property on the Albert River. He was, at one time, the manager of
Cobb and Co in Queensland. He was a sugar grower and became a member of
parliament. Shaw's Pocket is also named after
Alfred James Peter Lutwyche, a strong advocate of democratic reform, was called 'the poor man's judge', and he crossed swords more than once with the conservative forces in early Queensland. He took up his position as a judge of the New South Wales Supreme Court only months before Queensland became a separate colony but chose to stay on and so became Queensland's first judge.
On his arrival in Moreton Bay, he bought a tract of land bordering on Kedron Brook where he built Kedron Lodge and here he entertained, bred racehorses, wrote articles for the newspapers and was active in work for the Anglican Church. Yet some regarded his wife, Mary, as insufficiently refined for the position of Administrator's wife so he was not made Administrator during the absence of the Governor as might have been expected.
The son of a London leather merchant, he had been educated at Charterhouse and Oxford. To his career as a lawyer, he added the profession of journalism, working at one time on the same staff with Charles Dickens. He came to Australia to report on Australian affairs for the Morning Chronicle but took up his legal profession. He served on the NSW Legislative Council for some years before coming north.
Lytton district and holding was named by Sir George Bowen in 1859 after Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer, the first Baron Lytton, 1803-1873. This flashy young man around London was the son of an army general and a wealthy mother who cut off his money supply when he married against her wishes, so he turned to writing novels to get an income. However his relationship with his wife deteriorated to the point that he gained a legal separation in 1836. This did not stop her writing attacks on her husband, attacks which affected the parliamentary career he had started four years earlier. He alternated between writing and politics throughout his life. He was Secretary for the Colonies in Lord Derby's ministry, 1858-1859, at the time Queeensland was separated off from New South Wales. He became Baron Lytton of Knebworth in 1866. He is more famous for his writing than he is as a parliamentarian. He was more skillful with the written than with the spoken word.
Following the publication of a report on Queensland's defences in 1877 a fort was established at Lytton to protect Brisbane from naval attack. The Aboriginal name for the area was Gnaloongpin.
Previous page Next page
Place Names of South East Queensland home page