Place Names of South-East Queensland





Thomas Stephens gave the name to a swampy area along Logan Road formerly known as Burnett Swamp when he established a felmongery business there in 1962. It has assumed a number of forms : Ekibbon, Yeekabin, Yekibin, but in its Aboriginal origins it meant 'good eating' and referred to the good supply of edible roots there. The underground, horizontal stems of the Bungwall fern (Blechnum indicum) featured prominently in the diet of the Aboriginal people around Moreton Bay.  The stem was dug out with a sharp stick, partly dried in the sun, roasted, and then pounded with a stone.

T.B.Stephens had already owned woolen mills in Rochedale, England, before migrating to Australia. He set up a woolscour and fellmongery near Cleveland before transferring it to the Ekibin site. He later added a tannery. He served as an alderman for South Brisbane, was Brisbane's second Mayor, served in the Queensland Parliament for most of the 1860s and 1870s. He was a strong Baptist, son of a Baptist minister. Their family home Cumbooquepa is now part of Somerville House college.      


The name is supposed to mean a camp by the sea.


The area was known to the Kabi people as the place of the grey watersnake, Elimbah. The teamsters knew it was The Six Mile, a place to camp and rest their horses or bullocks. But when the railway came through, 1890, the rail stop was simply known as '36miles 68chains'. It was officially named Elimbah, 20 September, 1902, at the urging of local residents.     


This was the name given to his run by John Thain when he took it up around 1842.  His wife's name was Ellen.

Ellen Grove

Property developers have the opportunity to suggest names for new subdivisions, and Ellen Grove was one of these. It was named in 1952 after the grandmother of the developer, R.P.Spinks, who as Ellen Dobing had been a long term resident in the area.   


It seems that the Aboriginal name Youggeraoriginally referred to the area around the mouth of Breakfast Creek. Europeans applied it to the upper reaches of the stream, but in the survey office the u was mistaken for an n so that it became Enoggera. The name was first used of the creek. Then later for the suburb. Some say it was an Aboriginal word meaning plenty of wind, although Watson suggests that it is a corruption of yauar-ngari referring to a corrobboree ground. The Aboriginal name for the area which is now Enoggera was booloorchambinn, the turpentine tree (Suncarpia procera).   


Southport Junction was re-named Ernest Junction after Ernest Stevens, Member of Parliament.


James Ivory and David Graham settled at Eskdale. It seems that the property was named by the Ivory family after their home in Scotland although there are at least four rivers in Britain with this name. Its Celtic root was a word simply meaning water.   


The station was named by Arthur Hodgson who squatted there in 1840 together with Gilbert Elliott. Thomas Hall's stories were not always to be relied upon, but he had a story that Hodgson and Elliott found a knife in an abandoned Aboriginal camp that was stamped 'Made in Eton' and they took that suggestion as the name for the property.     


This Aboriginal name refers to eels although it probably did not come from the local Aboriginal people.


This name for what was previously known as Paddock Swamp, suggested by W. A. Petzler, is said to be a Chinese word for dog.    


The first Europeans to settle in the area were Joseph and Eleanor Gridley who arrived out from England on board the James Fernie, 24 January, 1856, with their five children. The family moved to the district in 1870 and called their property Beniah. The district was known by that name until the railway came through in the early 1890s. It was then that the name Eumundi was chosen. Eumundi was an Aboriginal leader who figured in the story of Eliza Fraser and her rescue from enslavement by an Aboriginal clan. Stuart Russell, an early pioneer-explorer, called him a great fighting man who was well inclined toward the whites. The Noosa River was, at one stage, called Huon Mundy's River, a variation on the Eumundi name, and a creek in the district still bears this name.    


This Fraser Island place name comes from yurong meaning rain or rainforest.


The settlement declined after it was by-passed by the railway line out from Oakey, but the district retains the name, a reminder of Evergreen House once occupied by Stephen Patch and the Hurleys.       

Everton Park, Everton Hills

Ambrose McDowall named his house after Everton, the suburb of Liverpool from which he came. Like other English Evertons, this one derived its name from the Old English evfar, meaning wild boar, and tun, meaning a farm or village. From the 1890s the Everton name has been used for the area, but Everton Park saw its major development around 1957 at the hands of Willmore and Randall. The name of Everton Hills was officially gazetted, 1 August, 1972.        

Previous page                                                  Next page

Place Names of South East Queensland home page