The meaning has been given as range or mountain view and as black possum.
The Cabbage Tree Palm, the locally used name for Livistona Australia, gave its name to Cabbage Tree Creek in Brisbane and to Cabbage Tree Point on the Gold Coast.
The area around the Caboolture River was called by the Brisbane Aborigines, Kabul-tur, meaning the place of the carpet snakes because these reptiles were plentiful in the area. The Bribie people also referred to it as the place of carpet snakes, but the name in their language was Wonga-dum. Carpet snakes were an important source of food for the Aboriginal people, and the birds which excitedly gathered around a carpet snake would unwittingly lead the hunters to their prey in the swamps or up in staghorn ferns or wherever they were to be found.
The river was important for the opening up of the country to white settlement. Timber getters floated red cedar logs down the river, settlers arrived and ferried their supplies in by means of the river. The river gave its name to a licensed grazing run, to a cotton company that fizzled, and ultimately to the township which grew up as a supply and trading centre for the settlers in the area.
This district north-north eat of Chinchilla gained its name from an early pastoral lease.
James Calam owned much of the land in this part of the world in the early 1900s. The name was officially gazetted in 1972.
The name comes from the Aboriginal Kalowen-ba meaning the place of the beech trees. These were plentiful in the area before being cut out by the timber getters.
The early story of white invasion is one of castaways and shipwrecks. The first white men in the area were Pamphlett, Finnegan and Parsons, who set out from Sydney to sail south to collect timber but ended up being blown north and eventually landed on Moreton island. they thought they still had to travel in a northerly direction to get back to Sydney, so they travelled up past the area now known as Caloundra. Runaway convicts Graham and Bracefield must also have been in the area some years later.
In 1863 a passenger on the migrant ship Queen of the Colonies died. Captain Cairncross organized a party of fourteen to go ashore on Moreton Island to bury the body, but they were caught in a storm on the way back to the ship and were driven north overnight to come ashore on a beach that became Moffat Beach at Caloundra. When they tried to re-launch the boat in an attempt to row to Brisbane the boat was wrecked and Mr Bransfield, the grieving husband of the dead woman, drowned. Eventually the rest were rescued by a search party sent out from Brisbane.
The steam-driven merchant ship, the Dickey, was driven ashore in a cyclone in 1893 leaving the wreck on the beach which adopted its name.
Andrew Petrie used his mother’s family name when naming Point Hutchison. The Point Hutchison area came to be called Caloundra.
Christopher Rolleston, Commissioner of Crown lands, named his headquarters, Cambooya, a name he learnt from the local Aboriginal people. It is said to refer either to some kind of waterhole vegetation (reeds, rushes or a small tuber have been suggested) or, on the other hand, a place of many winds.
This district between Kenilworth and Conondale gets its name from Cambroon Run, named in 1850 after an old Aboriginal who claimed that it was part of his territory. He was said to be an expert tomahawk thrower.
Although the name does not appear to have been used for the area until the 1930s it dates back to the earlier days of travel. This area on the hillside half-way between Brisbane and the Redlands was a convenient camping spot, hence the name.
An 1872 application to the Board of Education for a school was signed by farmers at the ‘mountain camp’ as well as by folk from Samford and the South Pine River area. It apparently referred to the area below the mountain which has been known by both the names of Mt Daniel and Camp Mountain. It probably got its name from a prospectors’ camp there in the 1860s. Attempts at gold mining continued into the 20th century.
Named after Colin Campbell according to a publication by the Southern and Western District Railway Historical Association.
Allan Cunningham named this area after George Canning, aide-de-camp to Governor Darling.
This name is the result of flights of fancy by Thornhill Weedon who was the Government Statistician and Registrar-General. He thought that two fallen gumtrees on the top of the rise on his property looked like a couple of cannon poking out into the air, and so he gave this name to the hill. When the Weedon family subdivided the land in the 1880s they marketed it under the name of the Cannon Hill Estate, and so the name was passed on to the whole suburb.
The name, which in the Aboriginal language from which it was borrowed meant a small owl, was given to the creek, along which the Christries took up their selection around 1873. The township grew up around their place.
The name is an Aboriginal word meaning place of possum scrub.