The name meaning dingo was given to the area in 1916 when German names were being removed. It had previously been Teutenberg.
The property was named after a
maritime town in Essex, England, on the River Colne, near Colchester.
It had been taken up by the Uhr brothers, one of whom was killed by the
Aboriginals while working sheep in a yard near the present Lake
Manchester. The surviving brother, together with a retired naval man,
J.S.Ferriter, held the property for some time. It was bought by the
North family in 1849. Wivenhoe Inn nearby became a popular stopping
place. The name has been given to the dam built to augment Brisbane's
Poor Stephen Simpson waited
nearly twenty years to marry his
fiance, Sophia Anne Simpson, a relative of his. But when they married
and migrated to Sydney, she died after only twenty months of marriage,
and the child she bore also died. Earlier he had served in the British
army during the Napoleonic wars and had studied at Edinburgh to become
a doctor, but the homeopathic treatment he learnt on the Continent
while trying to earn enough money to get married earned for him the
hostility of his fellow medicos in England.
Young kangaroo almost weaned.
The name comes from an Aboriginal word meaning howling dog. It started to grow when the railway line was put through from Kilkivan in 1902 and the old selection of Mondure station was cut up for closer, agricultural settlement. Before that there had been a collection of humpies at this spot on the road used as a resting point by drovers and teamsters travelling between Nanango and Mondure. Mondure had been taken up by Richard Jones in 1844.
The Gold Coast Council Heritage Tour indicates that Wongawallen was the name of an Aboriginal man in the Coomera area in the 1870s. It says that the name might be composed of two words, wonga, pigeon and wallan water or wangum wulam cut or scarred face. It was originally named Mt Goulburn after the English politician who served as Secretary for the Colonies in the 1830s and 1840s.
The name of the railway station was
changed from Sarah Vale to Wonglepong, 11 July, 1927. The name is of Aboriginal
derivation but there is some uncertainty about its meaning; possibly forgotten
sound or maybe a feature on Tamborine Mountain. Before being given the name of
Wonglepong the state school was called Canungra Lower.
The property, which eventually was broken up for closer settlement, was taken up by
J.Hay, N.Hay and T.Holk in March, 1854.
When it came time for naming
the new town to be developed here several possibilities were canvassed
and the names of several local settlers were advocated, but out of the
bitter controversy the name of H.C.Wood won out. To his name was added
the word for a river crossing and so the name of Woodford was
proclaimed in 1885.
The Woodleigh district, northern Downs, prior to 1919 was called Cattle Gully.
Octavius Stubbs gave it this name when he subdivided land there in 1914. The timber man called his subdivision 'wood' because of the timber grown in the district and milled at his sawmill, and 'ridge' because it was on a ridge along which the Brisbane to Southport railway line ran. The area had been a timber reserve from the 1870s. The original township surveyed there was named Booran. Prior to gaining the Woodridge name the railway siding had been known as 15 Miles Siding and Graham's Siding, the locality as Devar.