Lieutenant Bligh took up land in this area in 1860 and called it Caroora. For a couple of years after the railway line was built the rail stop was called Cooroora siding. The nearby mountain is still called Cooroora Mountain. The railway and postal authorities found it confusing having Cooran, Cooroora and Cooroy so close together, so the Railway Department changed the name to Pinbarren Siding. This lasted until 1906 when the Pinbarren Progress Association was invited to suggest a new name and they chose Pomona. Pomona was the Roman goddess of fruit and fruit trees. This name was being promoted well before it was officially adopted. The Under Secretary for Lands used it as far back as 6 March, 1900.
A retired officer from the Indian Army called his property Poona after the colonial resort area in India.
The name was given to this
area on the Granite Belt when land was opened up for soldier settlement
in 1918. The name was transplanted from northern France where it had
become well known to many Australian soldiers as a battleground during
the First World War.
There are a couple of different explanations given for the origin of this name. One suggests that it was named after a Catholic priest, Father Enright, who while on his way to visit some of his parishioners became lost in the area which came to be called Priest Gully. The other is that it was named after a timber-getter by the name of Priest.
Pullenvale gained its name from Pullen Pullen Creek, of Aboriginal origin.
Matthew Flinders did not
realize that what we now call Bribie Island was an island. On 16 July,
1799, he proceeded up the opening which he called a river, leading
towards the Glass House Peaks and found a quantity of pumicestone lying
along the highwater mark on the eastern shore of the 'river', but was
not able to proceed further upstream because of the rush of water with
the ebb tide. he called the passage Pumice Stone River because of this
The 18-year-old Victoria came
to the English throne at a time when the future of the convict
settlement at Moreton Bay was under question (1837) and when the
possibility of free settlement was being advocated. By the time the
colony was separated from New South Wales (1859), Queen Victoria and
Albert, her Prince Consort, were held in high regard and affection by
her subjects around the world. In spite of John Dunmore Lang's advocacy
of Cooksland as the name for the new colony, patriotic fervour won out
and Queensland in honour of Queen Victoria it became.
The Daly Brothers (James,
Patrick and John, sons of John Daly of
Brymaroo) took up land here and named the creek, and the township
surveyed in 1897, Quinalow after a small town in Ireland.