Although Tom Petrie
said that the name comes from pilba, a butcher bird, it seems
likely that it could come from barilba, a small green crab with red claws,
or bagilba, diamond-shaped fish scale which was used in decoration on
shields or bagill, place of mullet.
The Pikedale run was registered to Captain John Pike, 1843-44.
Named by Joseph King.
The name comes from Peempeema,
Aboriginal word meaning place of the peewee.
In September of 1824, Oxley, Cunningham and Butler were impressed by the
Araucaria tree species which grew on the hills around here and
so united in using the designation Pine. They referred to it variously
as Pine Ridge, Pine Hills and the Pine Range, but it is Pine Mountain
that has stuck. Oxley spoke of 'the Pine Hill being clothed with an
almost impervious vegetation to its very summit.'
Under instructions from the
Governor to look for a suitable site for a convict settlement, John
Oxley sailed north from Sydney in the cutter
Mermaid toward the end of 1823. He sailed as far as Port Curtis
and on the way back explored Moreton Bay. There he was surprised to
find a white man living with the natives on what later came to be
called Bribie Island. This was Thomas
Pamphlett. The next day he met up with John Finnegan, another of the
castaways who lived with the natives around Moreton Bay for seven
months. They told him of a very large river flowing into the bay, but
when Finnegan tried to take Oxley there he mistakenly directed him up a
smaller river to the north of the big one. This mistake was only
realized after rowing some considerable distance upstream. This mistake
prompted Oxley to call it Deception River, and others to refer to it as
the Blind River, but after Alan Cunningham and John Oxley, twelve
months later, travelled up it to procure spars cut from the hoop pine
trees growing along its banks, it came to be called the Pine River.
The name is clearly of Aboriginal origin, but its Aboriginal meaning us not known.
On occasions, the later
inhabitants have misplaced Aboriginal place names. This happened to
Pinken-ba, the place of tortoises. It originally referred to what we
now call New Farm, and the Aboriginal people referred to the area now
known as Pinkenba as
Dumben, a kind of tree fern.
In 1876 Tyson Doneley built the Beauaraba Hotel and the township was at first known as
Beauaraba, but in 1915 the name was changed to Pittsworth in honour of a family by the name of
Pitts who had owned Grantham Station
Some places got their names from a description of the countryside given by an early explorer. Plainland was one of these. Alan Cunningham remarked on the flat, wooded country and plain land in 1829 while exploring the Lockyer Valley country.
This headland on the Sunshine Coast is named after Sir Richard Arkwright, inventor of cotton spinning machinery 1769.
This point was named Point Raper by
Lieutenant Heath ,1861, but was subsequently named after Edmund Cartwright, the
inventor of weaving and combing machinery back in 1786.
Point Danger was so named by
Lieutenant (later Captain) Cook on his 1770 journey up the east coast
of Australia to warn later mariners of dangers to be encountered from
the rocks and shoals in the area. He was forced to make a sharp turn
toward the east to avoid these. The distant mountain he called Mt
In naming Point Lookout, Lieutenant James Cook, 1770, drew attention to the dangers of sailing along that coast and indicated the need for navigators to be on the lookout for a reef away to the north. The reef proved to be a rock, and in 1799 Lieutenant Matthew Flinders sailed between Point Lookout and the small, flat, rocky island that he marked on his chart as Flat Rock. There was some discrepancy between the bearings given by Cook and those given by Flinders for Point Lookout, but there is no doubt that they both saw the same point of land. Neither realized that it was on an island. They thought it was part of the mainland.
Point Perry at Coolum was named after
William Perry-Keene who with his wife Maud and family moved to Coolum in
1905. For about seven years in the 1920s , when the main transport used by
visitors was by converted cane train, they ran the Green Hills guest
house and kiosk there. They came from England after he fought in the Boer War in
South Africa. Green Hills was burnt down in 1929.