The original stockyards for Brisbane were near the Normanby, but when they were relocated a little further out to an area known then as the Three Mile Scrub they were called the New Market. Hence, with English precedents, the name was given to the suburb that developed there.
The Aboriginal name for the area where Newstead House stands was Karakaran-pinbilli (Petrie), and for the whole district Burudabin
(Booroodabin), place of oaks, but the suburb derives its name from the house built for Patrick Leslie, who with his brothers, Walter and George, was an early settler on the Southern Darling Downs.
In the Undanbi language this one of the Glasshouse Mountains had a name meaning charcoal.
Originally called Aalborg by the early Danish settlers, the name is said to have been a composite from the names of two men although it has also identified with a particular kind of bloodwood tree growing in the area.
To the Gubbi Gubbi people this mountain was Nyandur meaning leeches.
Ningi (See Toorbul)
There are several theories as to how Nobby on the Darling Downs got its name. One is that it was the name of a racehorse, another that it was the name of the lead bullock of an early bullock team or that it derives from the nob of a hill. Take your pick.
to the excelled website of the Gold Coast City Council these hillocks gained
their name from the head bullock in Frederick Fowler's bullock team. This timber
getter and bullocky is said to have grazed his lead bullock along these
The Abpriginal people called Noosa Head,
Wantima, meaning rising up or climbing up (Petrie). The name first used by white people was Bracefield's Head or Cape
Bracefield. This was as a result of an exploratory party involving Andrew Petrie and others finding the runaway convict,
Bracefield, living with the Kabi Kabi people in the area in 1842. However it came to be given a permanent name of Aboriginal derivation meaning shade
The Aboriginal name was
Kulpureen. At one time it was named Gorman's Creek in honour of Lieutenant Gorman, the last Commandant of the Moreton Bay Penal Settlement, but even earlier, 1825, it appears on Major Edmund Lockyer's map of the Brisbane River as Norman's Creek although it is not know to whom this name refers.
Norman Park was named after General Sir Henry Norman, Governor of Queensland, 1 May, 1889 to 31 December, 1895. He arrived in Brisbane at the age of 63, having spent over forty years in India, although just prior to coming to Queensland he had been Governor of Jamaica for six years. His third wife, Alice, accompanied him. His previous wives had died. He died 1904, by this time having been awarded the rank of Field Marshall in the British Army.
Originally called North Maroochy, the district gained its name from the north arm of the Maroochy River about 1890.
Northgate is a railway name. When a name had to be coined for the junction of the North Coast Line with the Sandgate line the first part of North Coast was combined with the second part of Sandgate to become Northgate.
This is another of those places which gained its name from a local property. Norwell plantation was operated by William Pidd in the 1870s.
When the westerly winds are blowing across the plains anyone in Norwin would think it aptly named, “Windy place”.
Aboriginal in origin, it seems that this is a corrupt form of Nar-dha, meaning the place of black ducks (anas superciliosa).
In the 1880s Frank Nixon selected land in what he called Numinbah Valley. He got the name from one of his Aboriginal tree-fellers they called Numinbah Johnnie. Numin in the Aboriginal language referred to the walking stick palm tree.
When the Railway Department called the station Nundah in 1884 they made use of the Aboriginal name for the area, a name meaning mouth or waterhole. See also Toombul.