From as far back as the 1860s
this forested area of the Taylor Range has been a popular picnic and
scenic spot for Brisbanites and visitors. It was once known as One Tree
Hill because when the summit was cleared a single bluegum tree was left
conspicuously on the skyline. The reserve was gazetted 1880.
Alan Cunningham named the mountain on the northern side of Cunningham's Gap after William Cordeaux who worked in the Commissariat Department in New South Wales from his arrival in 1818 until he became one of the commissioners given the job of dividing New South Wales into counties, hundreds and parishes. He prospered through land grants and established his home on his estate at Leppington, near Liverpool, southwest of Sydney.
Surveyor Robert Dixon named the mountain after Major Cotton, Commandant of the Moreton Bay settlement, July 1837 to May 1839. Its Aboriginal name was Tungipin meaning the west wind.
When John Oxley climbed this hill, 22 September, 1824, with Lieutenant Butler, he called it Belle Vue Hill. While Alan Cunningham, who was part of the exploration party with them, used this name in his journal, he called it Station Mountain on his map. It was close to their last campsite or 'station'. However when settlers moved into the area they named it after Crosbie-on-Eden on the English-Scottish border. Somehow the spelling came to be changed. There is another theory that the name came from a George Crosby who was prospecting in the area for a while.
Charles Fraser was the colonial botanist who accompanied Cunningham and Logan on an expedition in 1828. He was born near the towns of Dunsinane and Birnam in Scotland. He gave the Dunsinane name to part of Mt Mahomet, but it was later given to the hill he called Birnam Hill.
Alan Cunningham named it Mt Edward.
The early settlers referred to
the area as Gentle Breezes but it gained its permanent name when
T.C.Beirne as Minister for Lands was visiting the
Patricks' home there about the time of the First World War and
while discussing a suitable name for the place, the eldest daughter of
Charles and Alice Patrick said something like, 'It will have to be a
good name, with a view like this. Isn't it glorious!' And the
name was decided upon there and then.
Kaggar-mabul (place of the
porcupine) may have been the Aboriginal name, but the whites called it
Gravatt. Lieutenant George Gravatt was in charge of the Moreton Bay
settlement for three months in 1839. This was the time of run-down for
the penal settlement. There were only 94 convicts there when he arrived
in May as a 23-year-old junior officer. He died at the age of 28 while
serving in India possibly through contracting cholera.
There has been considerable
name swapping among the border mountains. In 1828, Logan, Cunningham
and Fraser gave the name of Lindsay to what later became Mt