Joseph Kitson named the area after the town in Yorkshire were he was born.
Several suggestions have been made as to the origin of this name for a district near Nambour, but perhaps the most probable is that when mist fills the hollows in this hilly country it creates the image of being flat land.
This was an Aboriginal word referring to a scrub vine.
This was once part of Dr Simpson�s land (see Wolston), but after the Second World War it was cut up to provide building blocks for ex-servicemen and the name Serviceton was promoted. However the name Inala was proclaimed in 1951, a name which comes from an Aboriginal dialect of the Logan-Albert area. Yinahla meant a camping place.
James Cook, 19 May, 1770, referred to the Aboriginal people he saw there as Indians and hence gave it the name of Indian Head.
The Aboriginal word for the area, yinduru-pilly, meant gully of leeches. The area where the railway bridge was built across the river was called mirbarpa while the pocket downstream from it was called tu-wong, meaning black koel bird.
Before it gained the name of Inglewood, the area where this town is situated was known as Parriegana and as Brown�s Inn. Some say that the town was named after a forest in England while others say that it comes from an Aboriginal word referring to the cypress pine.
The city was named by Sir George Gipps, Governor of New South Wales, after Ipswich in England, in honour of Captain J.H.Rous who came from there. The English Ipswich way back in 993 AD was known at Gipeswic and meant Gip�s port or landing place.
The Aboriginal name for the area was Tulmur, but it gained the name of Limestone when Captain Patrick Logan established a kiln there to process the locally mined limestone for his building projects around Brisbane Town. He stationed five convicts and an overseer with a corporal and three soldiers there. A farm was later developed too.
The first free settler was George Thorn, formerly of the 4th (Queen�s Own) Regiment, who came to Moreton Bay with his wife and baby son to work as a surveyor. He was appointed Superintendent of the Limestone Settlement. The son became a Premier of Queensland.
Governor Gipps was not sure that it was the right site for a permanent town, but it went ahead anyway, and with the influx of free settlers became a major commercial centre. At the head of navigation on the Brisbane and Bremer Rivers, it was nicknamed the �Squatters� Capital�. Even as far back as 1828 Allan Cunningham found coal in the vicinity. This helped it become an industrial and railway city. It was declared a city, 3 December, 1904.
In 1885 William Alexander Wilson subdivided land on the east side of Ryans Road and named it Ironside Estate after his wife's maiden name (Lydia Matilda Ironside). In 1905 the local school was renamed Ironside State School, although it was not actually on the original estate. Ironside is now a neighbourhood within the suburb of St Lucia.
Named after a river in England.
Governor Bowen named Ithaca Creek after the Greek island where his wife, the Countess Diamantina Roma, was born. The local authority area and suburb subsequently gained its name from the creek.