Glen Niven was named after Lawrence Niven, manager of a local tin mine.
The Gneering was an old sailing
ship formerly the Granite City used by the timber merchant, William
Pettigrew, to carry timber from coastal areas to his mill in Brisbane.
Prior to a Land's Department mapping error this island was
known as Wreck Island. This
was seen as a good place on which to run goats as it was free of foxes, but this
stopped after the goats were drowned in a flood in
In 1949 the centres along the coastal strip from Southport to Coolangatta combined together to form the Town of South Coast, and in 1958 adopted the name of Gold Coast. In the following year it was declared a city, but prior to this the name had gained popularity in recognition of the prosperity of the area and the rising price of land, the golden beaches and the suntanned bodies of their devotees. The name had been borrowed from the West African coastal strip given that nickname by Europeans.
The name comes from the Aboriginal name for the area and it meant dung. (Petrie)
This district west and south-west of Chinchilla has a name derived from the Aboriginal word for swamp.
This was the Aboriginal name for the locality named in 1854 by Mr Pitts who is commemorated today by the name of Pittsworth.
This run was taken up in the early days of Darling Downs settlement by Ernest Dalrymple. The name comes from
The town had its beginnings with the sale of
Boonara Station by the retailing family, David Jones, of Sydney. Allotments went on sale,
6 March, 1911, nine years after the railway line had been put through. The train station was initially called
The name of the town on the Macintrye River is derived from the name of a station property in the area, variously given as Gundawinda, or Gundiwindi said to mean either a resting place for birds or droppings of ducks or shags in the original Aboriginal language. Gundiwindi was the spelling of the property name when it was registered in the names of Richard and Samuel Marshall around 1848, hence the pronunciation that continues.
Named after St George Gore,
owner of Budumba run and a member of the Queensland parliament.
Originally called Stambrook or
Stanbrook, the pastoral run was given the name of Gowrie in 1847, said to come from a corruption of the local Aboriginal word for a bivalve mussel shell plentiful in the creek bed there.
Literally the name means agreeable village, but it was named after the daughter of Samuel Grimes, the local member of parliament. The Railways Department asked him to suggest a name for the station to be located on the new line through the old Boyland estate and his suggestion of Graceville was prompted by his daughter's name, Grace. Captain Boyland owned two cargo boats, the
Hawk, and the Swallow, which plied between Brisbane and Ipswich.
Grandchester was originally called
Bigges' Camp after two brothers who settled in the Brisbane Valley in the first great rush for land by free settlers in the 1840s. These were Frederick and Francis
Bigge, nephews of Commissioner Bigge. Frederick was known as 'Big'Bigge and Francis as 'Little'
The word grange is used of a moderately sized English country residence, so this was the name chosen by T.K.Peake who established a tannery and fellmongery there and built the house which has now long since disappeared.
The name obviously refers to the large number of granite boulders evident in the area. It came into use after the separation of Queensland from New South Wales in 1859. Before that it was simply seen as part of the New England Tableland.
Grantham run was taken up by C.W.Pitts in 1845. Grantham, in England, after which it was presumably named is known in historical records as far back at 1086 in the Doomsday Book when it was spelt exactly as it is today.
This Moreton Bay island was
called Tanggeera, Tangaree or Doongerri.
In the 1890s the old Greenbank Station, owned by the Slack family, was subdivided into farming lots and the Greenbank Provisional School was built on land leased from Will and Catherine (nee Lane) Slack. Greenbank station had previously been owned by his father, William Dunbar How Slack.