places have been named after houses, some after hotels, but Gailes is
one which was named after a golf course. In 1925, this name was
suggested for the new golf links by the wife of the superintendent of
what was then known as the Goodna Mental Hospital. She had come from
Western Ayrshire in Scotland, not far from the Western Gailes Golf
Club. Before that the area had been called Dingo
The hill was previously known as Norman's Hill, but in 1865 it was named Galloways Hill after the Honourable John James Galloway who had lived there for many years. He was a member of the Board of General Education and a Member of the Legislative Council.
This part of
Hervey Bay was named after Charles Frederick Gataker who was born at Mildenhall,
Suffock, 1843, and came to Australia at the age of 21. He became a government
surveyor working in the Mary-Burnett area, but later was a local wine and spirit
merchant, living in Meryborough but with a seaside house at Gataker's Bay.
The town of Gatton was officially proclaimed, 19 April, 1855. It was named after Gatton by the Melrose River in Scotland, but which Scottish settler gave it the name and why is not known. The new town of Gatton which grew up after the railway came through was on a melon hole flat previously known as The Swamp.
Gaven family, which owned land in the area from 1880, has given its name firstly
to the road Gaven Way (1960) and then the suburb (1979). Eric Gaven was shire
councillor and chairman and later a member of the Queensland parliament.
many other Queensland towns, Gayndah grew up at a river crossing where
squatters and teamsters used to camp while on their travels. At one
time it was known as Norton's Camp after a local carrier. Being founded
in 1848, it is undoubtedly one of the oldest towns in Queensland, but
there is some uncertainty about the origin and meaning of its name. The
most likely origin is to be found in the Aboriginal
giun�da or gu-un-dah, meaning thunder, but another suggestion is
ngainta meaning place of scrub. Yet another interpretation says
that it means a large rock. The Railway Department adopted the name, 27
train station was originally called Rifle Range because it was near the
Enoggera army rifle range, but the Railway Department changed the name
to Gaythorne, 14 July, 1923, using the name of a
nearby property which had been named by its owner, Howard Bliss, after
his wife's home at Albion.
The Aboriginal people used to eat the fruit of the geebung shrub by squeezing the pulp and stone from the skin with their fingers and eating it raw. It provided a tasty meal, and when they left the fruiting bushes they would carry as much as they could in their dillies with them. Geebung is an Aboriginal word, but not from the Brisbane area. The Brisbane folk used to refer to this large, well-branched shrub with the bright green foliage that produced small golden flowers in the late summer as dulandella. Its scientific name is Persoonia.
The name of this Darling Downs district is supposed, by some, to derive from the Aboriginal Jim-ju-um.
A contraction of Wakka words kirar nulla referring to a dry creek. The Wakka people were not of this area, but from time to time travelled through it on their way to the coast.
Gibson, an engineer with the Harbours and Marine Department, was in charge of the dredging operations in the Brisbane River.
names for the present Gilston area were Boieeboiee (broad-leafed apple tree) or
Winwin (white oak).
An Aboriginal name meaning a place of flowers.
James Cook did not have in mind the glasshouses under which tomatoes
might be grown, but glass foundries in Yorkshire. These cone shaped
buildings, up to thirty metres in height, were known as glass houses,
and the residual cores of extinct volcanoes which he saw from the
Endeavour, 17 May, 1770, reminded him of those buildings in his
homeland, so he called them the Glass Houses. They then featured
prominently in the early white intrusion into the area. Sailors using
Cook's charts looked out for them. Matthew Flinders trudged overland to
the base of one of them,
Tibrogargan, and climbed Mt Beerburrum. John Bingle, John Oxley,
Patrick Logan, Charles Fraser, and Allan Cunningham all used them to
get their bearings while on exploratory journeys.
This Granite Belt area was named after Dyson Aplin and family who had tin mines in the area from about 1872.
present homestead was built in 1867, but the area was part of the land
taken up by Patrick Leslie in 1840 and named Glengallan by Colin and
John Campbell in 1841-42.
The original run was given this Scottish place name by Garden who took it up in 1840 and the dam gained its name from the property.