This river was named by Allan Cunningham after Mr Henry Dumaresq, Governor Darling's brother-in-law and private secretary.
This name, derived from
Aboriginal words meaning place of dead trees, applied originally only to the
sawmill set up by William Pettigrew and William Sim in the latter 1850s to early
The name has its origin in the Aboriginal
Dhu-Yungathin meaning trees swim., and came from the period when James Low had a timber depot there, 1867. There
was a time when the name was spelt with an 'm' - Dunethim, but in the 1970s it
came to be spelt officially as Dunethin.
It used to be called Goompee, meaning round or spherical, then Green Point, but Governor Darling decreed that it should be called Dunwich. Viscount Dunwich was another title held by the Earl of Stradbroke.
The present suburb of Durack was part of the old
Archerfield property hurriedly purchased in 1881 by Michael 'Stumpy' Durack and his wife Kate from Mary Elizabeth Murphy just prior to his departure for the Kimberleys where he spent almost all the remainder of his life in the pioneering enterprises of the family. But he lost most of the assets he had accumulated, and when he died in 1894 his widow and children were left to face some very difficult and struggling years.
The name of the old, Archer Brothers
station set up in the Woodford area means witchetty grub.
The area was named after Charles Boydell Dutton, a native-born Australian who acquired extensive property and grazing interests in Queensland and was a member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly from 1883 to 1888 during which time he served successively as Minister for Lands, Minister for Mines and Works, and Minister for Railways. In spite of his pastoral interests, he gained the reputation of being a humanitarian liberal. When he married in 1865 he was 31 years of age and his wife, Martha, was 17.