Dinmore was named after Dinmore Hill in Herefordshire, England. In the Welsh language Dinmawr means a great hill.
The creek and surrounding area acquired its Aboriginal name which means mud-crab when it was bestowed by James Turner, coastal surveyor.
This Darling Downs stream was named by
Ludwig Leighhardt after the blossoming jascksonia.
Johann and Catherine Dohle migrated from Prussia, 1863, and set up a timber business at Breakfast Creek. Much of the timber came from the Pine River area, and in 1903 they took up residence on land there purchased from Tom Petrie. In time, his sons, Henry and Johann Jnr, took over the business. They harnessed the power of the wind to drive a saw for cutting timber. They transferred their boat building activities to Dohle's Rocks as well. Later they went into growing sugarcane, pineapples and vegetables together with dairying.
This rock formation carries the name of
Ned Donnelly, an early settler in this part of the Granite Belt.
At one time the township was known as Little Caloundra. It appears on some old maps as Toorbul Township. Some say that it got its present name from the brawling that used to go on among the crews of the boats which serviced the Moreton Bay Oyster Company and who used to camp there. Bribie Passage oysters had a reputation for being the finest in the world, but the industry was wiped out in 1909 by a worm infestation. The south-eastern suburb of Dublin from which it gets its name was actually named after a saint. Its original name meant the church of St
Originally part of the Durack lands, its name is Aboriginal for the geebung tree.
Doomben is named after a species of tree fern. It was the Aboriginal name for the area, presumably because this particular kind of plant grew there in some profusion.
It is thought that this name, given to
the area at the northern end of the Sunshine Coast by the Officer in Charge of
the Nambour police station in 1900, is derived from an Aboriginal language
meaning the leaf of a tree.
At the request of the Oakleigh and District Progress Association, 25 September, 1947, the name of the area was changed from Oakleigh to Dorrington after Dorrington Park, one of the land portions there which had been subdivided in the 1920s.
Captain Cook so named this point, 18 May, 1770, because, from his ship, it looked as though there were two small islands lying just below the land. Later Stuart Russell christened it Brown's Cape because the runaway convict, Bracefield, told him that was where Brown, the mate on the Sterling Castle, had been killed by local tribesmen. (See Frazer Island.) Cook's designation has been preserved.
For a year the creek was known to the
white colonists as Moreill Creek but was renamed Doughboy Creek in 1840. A
doughboy was a kind of damper and was supposed to have been cooked there by one
of the early free settlers.
The small settlement which grew up at the camping spot where bullockies rested their beasts after the long, hard, haul up the range was known as The Springs. However when Thomas Alford set up a trading post there in 1842 he named it Drayton after his home town in Somerset. The Aboriginal people called the sport Chinkerry meaning the place where water jumps up, or water sparking like stars.
Dugandan, near Boonah, was the Aboriginal name for the hill on which the original head station was built. It derives from the Aboriginal term for a particular kind of reed that was suitable for making dilly bags and that grew at a spring on the hillside
The name for this area near Nambour means red mud.