In 1827, Sir Thomas Mitchell, the Surveyor-General for the Colony of New South Wales, named the D'Aguilar Range after Sir George D'Aguilar, a military officer who wrote the army textbook in use at the time, Regulations and Punishments of the British Army. He was probably known personally to the Governor, Lieutenant General Ralph Darling; the Moreton Bay Commandant, Captain Patrick Logan; as well as to Major Mitchell, for they all served in the Peninsula Wars under the Duke of Wellington. It is not clear which of these three originally suggested the name.
The name was given to the railway station, 22 January, 1914, and is thought to derive from Aboriginal word meaning home camp.
A name like
Daisy Hill invites legends one of which is that there was once a woman
called Daisy who operated a brothel there, but this is probably nothing
more than legend. The other traditional story is that the daughter of
the Dennis family suggested the name because of the daisies that were
growing there. This is more probable.
This was an Aboriginal name for the grasstree, a plant of the genus
Xanthorrhoea, commonly called the black boy.
Creek settlement was declared a township in 1854 with the name of
Dalby. When Captain Samuel Perry, the Deputy Surveyor General, asked
the locals to suggest a name for the village that was to be surveyed
the name of Dalby was suggested, the name coming
either from the town of that name on tbe Isle of Man, or from a
This Granite Belt township was named after a pass in Scotland linking Dumfriesshire with Lanarkshire.
Darling, after whom Allan Cunningham named this area, succeeded Sir
Thomas Brisbane as the seventh Governor of the colony of New South
Wales, 1825-1831. He was born of English parents in Ireland, 1775. His
father was a sergeant in the British army and he followed in his
father's footsteps by joining the army, but rapidly
outstripped his father in rank. His reforms in NSW met resistance
and led to conflict with W.C.Wentworth and Chief Justice Forbes
and other leading colonists so that the Colonial Office in England
recalled him, but a British parliamentary inquiry later exonerated him.
He died in Brighton, England, 1858.
The naming of the house Darra
which used to stand on the corner of Ann and Wickham Streets in
Brisbane, the home of William Augustine Duncan, may provide the clue to
the origin of the suburb's name, but it probably came from Darra in
Scotland, north of Aberdeen. The name was chosen by the Railway
northwards as part of the Fitzroy basin, most of this river is outside
of South East Queensland. Leichhardt named the river in acknowledgement
of the support given to his expedition by Robert Dawson of Black River
in the Hunter Valley, a Yorkshireman who came to Australia (1825) as
the first manager of the Australian Agricultural Company and stayed on
to become a landowner, magistrate and explorer. He died in England
used to be called Terror's Creek. The creek acquired this name from a
horse. The horse was a prized grey Arab stallion belonging to Captain
Griffin of Whiteside station. Its name was
Terah, named after the father of Abraham in the Bible. But the spelling
got changed, some say because the high-spirited horse instilled terror
into the local inhabitants.
William Deagon was an old identity of the area, and his name was used for the locality when the railway line went through in 1887. He owned the Sandgate Hotel, a stopping place for the Cobb & Co. coaches.
The bay got its name from Deception River, the name given to Pine River when John Finnegan mistakenly took John Oxley up it thinking it was the big river which later became the Brisbane River.
Creek (See Wamuran)