This was the name of a village in Scotland. 

Coes Creek

Robert Coe selected 160 acres, 12 September, 1882, on which he grew sugarcane, becoming one of the early shareholders of the Moreton Central Sugar Mill in Nambour.


The Balfours, on taking up land in 1841, named their holding Colinton after their home village on the outskirts of Edinburgh, Scotland.  

Colleges Crossing

It seems that George College, after whom the area is named , also sometimes spelt his name Colledge.  He arrived in Moreton Bay 1849 and settled in this area.


William Caircross named the house he built in 1881, Colmslie, after an old family estate in Scotland.  


Allan Cunningham named it Cunningham's River after Lieutenant T. De La Condamine, an aide to Governor Darling. He was a man of some influence in Sydney: involved in the management of the Female Factory at Parramatta, the boys institution known as Carter's Barracks and in the establishment of the Australian Subscription Library.   


Donald Mackenzie named his station at the headwaters of the Mary River after the River Conon in Scotland, the district where he was born. The river was known to the Kabi people at Numabulla. Andrew Petrie called it the Wide Bay River, but it came to be officially named the Mary in honour of Lady Mary Fitzroy, the wife of the Governor.

When the Gympie gold rush started, the track northwards from Brisbane passed the Durandur station ( near the present Woodford) and then climbed the range to the Conondale station. It was not long before a road was marked closer to the coast, but until that happened Conondale was well known to travellers on the Gympie track. Several bullock drays overturned and were destroyed in their attempts to negotiate the range.  


To the Coobenpil speaking members of the Yuggera, or Jagara, tribe, the most important thing about this island was its deposit of decomposed igneous rock. This provided them with the red ochre with which they decorated their bodies at corroboree times. So it is not surprising then that one of their names for the island was something that sounded like Kutchi Mudlo, meaning red stone.

When Matthew Flinders landed on the eastern side, 19 July, 1799, he simply marked it on his map as the Sixth Island in the area. The beach were he landed is now called Norfolk Beach after his sloop the Norfolk, built on Norfolk island.

Lieutenant Innis of the 57th Regiment stationed at Moreton Bay carried out exploration in the southern parts of  Moreton Bay, and while some people continued to refer to the island by its Aboriginal name, others called it Innis Island. This name appeared on the map (1842) produced as a result of Robert Dixon's trigonometrical survey of the island. When the result of the 1885 survey into one acre allotments was published the anglicized form of the Aboriginal name, Coochiemudlo, was used. Subsequently it was used in the crown land sales which began 1888  


The word seems to have referred to the colour red in several Aboriginal languages.  Coochin Mountain and Creek are in the Glasshouse region, while the property Coochin Coochin is in the Fassifern area.


The name for this locality near Kenilworth is said to indicate the place where koalas live.


The beach resort on the New South Wales border gets its name from a ship, the Coolangatta, which was wrecked there, 18 August, 1846. The ship in its turn got its name from the estate of Alexander Berry on the South Coast of New South Wales.

Berry, with his business partner Edward Wollstonecraft, acquired extensive lands on the North Shore of Sydney Harbour and along the Shoalhaven River. When his brothers and sisters migrated to New South Wales they joined him on the southern property which he had named Coolangatta.  The name Berry is perpetuated in the district there today by the name of the nearby town.  


The cooloolah is the coastal cypress or callitris.  It is said to be suggested by the sound made by the wind in these trees.

The coloured sands legend is of a young woman who fell in love with a spirit called Yiningie. This spirit represented the rainbow. One day she was kidnapped and Yiningie gave chase. A fight ensued during which the abductor threw a giant boomerang at the Rainbow Spirit. It collided with the cliffs and dissolved into the colours now to be seen in the sands.  


Kulla-bin, in the Gubbi Gubbi language,  described this area near Yandina as a koala habitat


The town and the beach get their name from the mountain. The Aboriginal people called the mountain gulum or kulum meaning without or wanting, and it is said that this refers to the fact that the mountain seems to be without a peak to it.

The first white man to take up land in the area was Walter Hay, who came from Maryborough by way of Noosaville. He took up land in 1882 around Coolum Hill.   

Previous page                                       Next page

Place Names of South East Queensland home page