The district first gained its
name from the creek which ran through the area, Downfall Creek, and was
opened up for closer settlement in the 1860s in an attempt by the
Queensland Government to get itself out of financial difficulties. The
Downfall Creek State School commenced July 1900. The first principal,
Youatt, did not like the name given to the district and led a move
which resulted in a change of name to Chermside in honour of Sir
Herbert Chermside who commenced his term as Governor of Queensland in
It is believed by some that the name
comes from local Aboriginal words meaning flat place.
Hugh and Emily Childers lived
in Melbourne from 1850 to 1858, but they made quite an impression on
Victoria in those eight years. She was known for her beauty, and he for
his involvement in the founding of the University of Melbourne as well
as for his work in supervising the school system, as Auditor-General
and as Collector of Customs. He was an elected member of the Victorian
Legislative Assembly for two years. When they returned to England he
entered the House of Commons and continued there as a member and as a
minister from 1860 to 1892. Among the leading roles which he played
were those of the First Lord of the Admiralty, Secretary of State for
War, Chancellor of the Exchequor and Home Secretary. His first wife
died in 1875 and he re-married in 1879, this time to Katherine, who
was, like himself, the offspring of an Anglican clergyman. She
pre-deceased him by a few months when he died in 1896 at the age of 69.
Ludwig Leighhardt borrowed the Aboriginal word, jinchilla, when referring to the cypress pine that grows well in the area, and when, in 1848, Matthew Goggs applied for a lease in this name additional to his Woonongera property it seems that the people in the Syndey Lands Office wrote Chinchilla instead.
The Aboriginal people called this mountain Bong Bong or Bung Bung. White settlers thought that it might have referred to the place of the dead.
Clagiraba Creek, which flows into the Coomera River, derived its name from the aboriginal kalagareebah, a place where the young men assemble as part of their initiation ceremony.
The Petries had a quarry at
Albion, but the area further out came to be dotted with clay pits as
brickmaking went on in the area too. From these clay fields the area
got its name. The railway station's name was changed in 1886 from
Sandgate Road Crossing to Clayfield thus stamping the name on the
suburb for ever.
Surveyor Warner suggested the
honour of the Duke of Cleveland, and it was declared a township in the
Government Gazette, 13 December, 1851. To the Aboriginal people the
Francis Forbes, son of the Chief Justice of New South Wales, took up the Clifton grazing run in 1843. He was later joined by his brother, David. The first manager was a cousin, John Milbourne Marsh. Clifton was the home town of Lady ForbesHowever the town really owes its existence to James Mowen who settled in the area in 1869 as a storekeeper and publican.
Either named after Lady Morgan whose maiden name was Clinton or her father, Captain Clinton, builder of the Spicer's Gap Road.
The Clontarf after which the area of the Redcliffe Peninsula is named features prominently in Irish history. It was at Clontarf,
Cluain Tarbh, in the gaelic, literally pasture of bulls,
on the north shore of Dublin Bay that the Irish under Brian
Boru, in 1014, defeated the Vikings, who had been invading and
colonising their island for two hundred years, although this King of
Munster was himself killed in the battle.