Friends of Tingalpa Cemetery Heritage Group Inc.

Expanded Burial Register prepared with assistance of

The Brisbane City Council Local History Grant 2003/4

Researchers – Rod and Marion Murphy and Lorraine Graham

Compilation by Rod Murphy

Our thanks to David Horton for including this information on his

Tombstone Website.


Christ Church Anglican Cemetery was consecrated in 1868 by Bishop Tufnell.  Burials have taken place from 1868, and the most recent was in 2004.


Records of burials and positions of graves were known to be incomplete, with some inaccurate information.  This was no doubt due to the fact that control of this historic cemetery changed frequently, with various other parishes undertaking responsibility from time to time.  Control currently rests with the General Manager of the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane.


The historic Tingalpa Pioneers’ Chapel and Burial Ground at 1341 Wynnum Road, Tingalpa, was Heritage Listed in 1996.  Our group formed in 2002 to preserve the decommissioned Chapel and the Graves, and to ensure that the Burial Register and Cemetery Map were as accurate as possible.


A 2002/2004 Brisbane City Council Local History Grant of $1,500 was obtained to assist with upgrading the Burial Register.  We are most grateful for this, and for the dedication and expertise of Rod and Marion Murphy and Lorraine Graham in cross-checking the numerous sources required for the preparation of the of this expanded Register.


Sources checked include the Christ Church Cemetery records; the Anglican Archives for Tingalpa and neighbouring church records and for Church Chronicles; indexes of Births, Deaths and Marriages held at the State Library of Queensland; State Archives; Death Certificates; Newspaper notices, Funeral Directors; National Archives of Australia war records, Queensland Family History Society Inc.; Genealogy Society of Queensland; the Brisbane City Council Cemetery Records, and information held by the families of the pioneers.  Special thanks to Glenda Murrell of the Anglican Archives, Rick Miles of the Hemmant Cemetery, and numerous descendants who provided information, death certificates and photographs.


At least one hundred burials not included in the existing Burial Register were discovered by our researcher Lorraine Graham, who recognised Tingalpa names in a Church Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages (1868 –1922) held at the Anglican Archives with material from neighbouring Bulimba Church.  As there was no mention of the Tingalpa Christ Church on the Register, it is very understandable how this original Tingalpa Register became lost.


As the site of many graves is unknown, caution is urged in allocating future burial plots, with the preferred option of erecting some sort of columbaria or memorial garden for use by descendants of the Tingalpa pioneers.


We are indebted to Rod Murphy for producing this Burial Register and Cemetery Plan.  His meticulous recording, and efforts to locate actual gravesites has provided a greatly improved Register.  However, it must be noted that the Register will never be 100% correct, and we welcome any additions or corrections to the material provided.


Jackie Butler     20 June 2006


102 Moreton Avenue, Wynnum Q. 4178

Phone/Fax   07 3396 9472