On the 3rd April 1872, Charles Freeman selected 80 acres of Rosewood Scrub at Tallegalla. On 2nd May 1876, 10 acres of his land was resurveyed for a cemetery and church site.
The church occupied 1 acre 14 perches and the balance was the present cemetery reserve. Charles Freeman generously donated this land for these purposes.
On a photocopy of the original survey the cemetery is called "Walloon Cemetery", possibly because it was in the parish of Walloon. By 1886 it was known as the "Rosewood General Cemetery". In 1902 it was the "Rosewood Cemetery" and by 1920 it was the "Tallegalla Cemetery".
The first burial here was a son of Mr, Dart, who had selected land on the western side of the Tallegalla School. The coffin was carried the two miles to the cemetery of burial.
Charles Freeman was also laid to rest here in this cemetery, followed by his wife Mary Freeman in 1927. Some of their 11 children and many of his descendents now share this burial ground.