Pullenvale Rafting Ground reserve

Pullenvale Rafting Ground reserve Origin of Name - Rafting Ground

Pullenvale Rafting Ground reserve

Pullenvale Rafting Ground reserve Hoop pine planting by the Rafting Ground Pullenvale Scout Group

Pullenvale Rafting Ground reserve

Pullenvale Rafting Ground reserve marker - 1974 flood level

(site of) Pullenvale Rafting Ground cemetery, Brisbane

From "Mud maps of Moggill", compiled and edited by Libby Wager in association with the Pullenvale field study centre 1988

From "Mud maps of Moggill", compiled and edited by Libby Wager in association with the Pullenvale field study centre 1988  Early maps show that the Temporary Reserve for rafting was on Pullenvale Road, just past the present Moggill Road intersection. Moggill (Old) Cemetery was later situated withing its boundaries.

From "Mud maps of Moggill", compiled and edited by Libby Wager in association with the Pullenvale field study centre 1988  In the 1970s Moggill Cemetery was desecrated by vandals - headstones broken. The site was cleared by the appropriate authorities and stones removed, it seems, without any record being kept. 'Descendents of Moggill Pioneers' a group granted funding by Pullenvale Ward Bicentenary Community Committee to celebrate their Moggill heritage, are working during 1988 to trace those buried there and to record their names on a memorial and in other repositories.   However in searching the Queensland Government Gazette for possible records, it appears that the parish of Moggill has had four cemeteries since the "Cemeteries act of 1865". The first was Moggill (Old) Cemetery, now the Council "dump" in Pullenvale road near Rafting Ground Park. Folklore maintains two Heathwood children were buried there, the graves being enclosed by a picket fence. A gum tree later marked the site in memories of older residents. The cemetery was transferred under the City of Brisbane Act of 1924 which abolished local Shire Councils. Fifty years have elapsed since that cemetery was used, the Reserve has been acquired by the Kenmore Bowls club which plans to include a suitable memorial to the pioneers in its proposed clubhouse.  Moggill (Town) Cemetery was to occupy Portion 144 Parish of Moggill, set aside in 1870 opposite the present Moggill Uniting Church at the junction of Kangaroo Gully, Witty, Prior's Pocket and Moggill Roads. It is marked on the 1885 map of the parish as "Reserve". It is doubtful this site was used despite its proxility to the churches as it was not transferred with other cemeteries in 1930.  In 1873, Portion 247 saddling Mt Elphinstone was reserved for cemetery purposes. Messrs. Butler, Ballard, Gregory, Jones and Pellatt were named trustees in 1876. Although it is believed three children are also buried there, the lone grave of Adam Walker is the only one marked. Paddy Pacey, one of the pall-bearers in 1879, is said to have complained that he wasn't carrying anyone else up the mountain as the pull was too steep. Brookfield became the preferred cemetery on that side of the parish.  To question about those buried in Moggill, the answer is always the same "No plots were sold, no burial fees charged. The community shared each other's sorrows. One family would dig a grave for another at no charge ..."  suggested visit Moggill Cemetery Moggill Road, Bellbowrie

estimated location of early cemetery site at Rafting Ground.

RaftingGroundWhereis.gif

Back to the start


Admin


Made with
PhotoFrame 6.9