The origins of this cemetery date to 1875 when Pastor Haussmann purchased the land for a church. At that time he had a mission based across the river at Alberton. The Bethesda Mission was started in 1867 to preach to the local Aboriginal population. St Paul's church at Gramzow was designed by a local, August Von Senden. It was built in the traditional north German style with hand made brick nogging in a timber frame which had been axe dressed and fixed with wooden pegs. The church was demolished in 1951 at the time of the construction of the new St Paul's Church at Mount Cotton. The cemetery remains in use by the congregation. It provides evidence of the early German settlement of the district. Many older gravestones are written in German. This area was settled by German families who arrived in the 1860s. They were industrious farmers who grew sugar cane, maize and arrowroot and later started dairying. The German language tended to be used for a long time, even in schools.
More information about
Cornubia (formerly Carbrook) Lutheran Cemetery
Logan City Cemeteries
Mount Cotton Lutheran Cemetery - transcriptions by Rhonda Demarco
Gumdale & Surrounding Precinct
Mt Cotton History
St Pauls Lutheran Church - Mount Cotton
Mt Cotton - Researched and written by Mary Howells
St Pauls Lutheran Church was built at Mt Cotton, replacing the old unsafe church.
Mount Cotton Village
A Brief History of Logan
Photographed: 13 Nov 2005
Names in cemetery order
Names in alphabetical order
Select images from the left. Displayed images are scaled down to fit on the screen, but full-size images can be obtained by clicking.
or GoogleEarth map application for Mount Cotton, Logan City. (What's this?)