[saved copy of (now unreachable) page by Bruce Sugars]


Robert SEXTON (1816 - 1898) together with his wife, Mary BACON (1816 - 1898) and children John and Thomas (1847 - 1929) arrived on the “Lima” in 1849. After living at West End for a short time they travelled to Moggill on “The Hawk”.

Robert bought a property known as “Woodbine Hill” from the New South Wales Government. This property remained in the family for three generations.

Robert and Mary had another three children born in Moggill. They were Elizabeth, Annie and George (1857 - 1923).

Robert and his son Thomas were foundation members of the Moggill Methodist church built in 1868.

George Sexton was nine years of age when the first Moggill school was opened on 12 February 1866, so could have been on of the fifty three on the first roll. Unfortunately, records of early attendances have been lost.

George’s’ children and grandchildren certainly attended the Moggill School. George married Emily WALLER and hod two children, Norman (1894 - 1984) and Roy (1896 - 1984). Roy married Ruby SUGARS (1900 - 1986) of another family of Moggill pioneers. They purchased land at Ugly Creek, Moggill whey they raised four children, Greg, Thelma, Lloyd and Ken, before leaving Moggill in 1938.

Norma married Jessie Martin (1894 - 1980) and reared five children, Robert, Gordon, Max, Jean and Joan. They lived on the family property until 1949.

Main


Moggill - History - Sexton
This page created and maintained by Bruce Sugars
Last updated 16 January 1997
Copyright ? 1996 by B. Sugars

 

 

 

Please read the DISCLAIMER. The views and opinions expressed in these McAuley pages are strictly those of the page author. The contents of these pages have not been reviewed or approved by the Australian Catholic University.
DisclaimerMcAuley.