Logan Reserve Irish Catholic
Cemetery is located in part of the
original Logan Agricultural Reserve
on land selected by John Gavan in
September 1862. Bishop Quinn
founded the Queensland Immigration
Society in 1862, which encouraged
Irish people to escape the ravages of
the famine by coming to Queensland.
Mary Anne and John Gavan and their seven children were amongst these Irish settlers. John Gavan took land in the Logan Agricultural Reserve in August 1863. In April 1865 a one acre allotment was excised and transferred to Bishop James Quinn in April 1865. This was the site of the first Catholic Church in the Logan District. The building was a simple bark hut and was also used as a school.
The only headstone on the Logan Reserve site indicates four burials from the Moloney family, although they are not all buried there. The Catholic Church relocated to Waterford in the early 1870's and most of the Waterford Catholics are buried there. It was located at 954-956 Kingston- Beenleigh Road, west of the Club Hotel.
Nevertheless there are many buried on the Logan Reserve site including the original owner of the land John Gavan, his wife Mary Anne and daughter Lucy. Confirmed burials on this site include John (senior) and Mary Moloney, John Rafter junior and senior, Catherine Cusack and Arthur OKeefe.
The church sold the 954-956 Kingston-Beenleigh Road church and cemetery site in 1983, after relocating the four graves which had headstones to Gleneagle near Beaudesert.
extracted from Logan City Council link below
More information about
Logan City cemeteries
Logan Reserve Irish Catholic Cemetery history and burial register.
Logan - final resting places.
A Brief History of Logan
Photographed: 12 Feb 2006
Names in cemetery order
Names in alphabetical order
Select images from the left. Displayed images are scaled down to fit on the screen, but full-size images can be obtained by clicking.