The school was opened, 5 July, 1875, as the Walloon Scrub State School, but nine years later it was given the German name of Kichheim This reflected the national origin of many of the district's settlers. However it was changed during the First World War when anti-German sentiment ran high to Haigslea after Sir Douglas Haig, Commander-in-Chief of the British Army fighting against the Germans.
While new graves seem to be lawn graves, this has many headstones too. (From information sign at cemetery)
Also known as "Walloon Scrub cemetery", "Kircheim Cemetery", "Kirchheiner Cemetery" and "Walloon Cemetery", the land was donated to the adjoining Lutheran Church by Mr W H Loose. The cemetery remained under control of the Lutheran Church until a Cemetery Trust was formed in 1913.
The Queensland Government Gazette announced an "Order in council on the 9th day of May, 1918" that set aside land as a permanent reserve for a cemetery. "Kirchheiner Cemetery" as it was then known also became known as "Haigslea Cemetery" and was placed 'under control of Johann Koch, John Henry Claus, Ernest Schubel, Harry Heiner and George Henry Siemon. Burials in the ""Kirchheiner" Cemetery occurred during the period from September 1916 to August 1959.
In 1959 the Moreton Shire Council (now Ipswich City Council) was appointed as trustee and at the Health and Community Services meeting held on the 25th September 1990, the cemetery was renamed "Haigslen Lawn Cemetery".
Notice the kangaroos in the first photo too.
Photographed: 11 Sep 2005
Names in cemetery order
Names in alphabetical order
Select images from the left.
or GoogleEarth map application for Haigslea, Ipswich. (What's this?)
All the cemeteries
© Copyright 1996-2020 Kerry Raymond and David Horton