From Gympie region web site
On December 1, 1869 Mr John Priddy was appointed as Gympie’s first sexton, having won the position from forty applicants. The burial ground was situated in Tozer Park Road at this time. A burial register was also started then, although some burials had already taken place. The first burial recorded by the new sexton was that of a child, two month old William Henry Cronin, buried on December 5, 1869. The Tozer Park Burial ground was formally closed in November 1886. (Source: Gympie Cemetery Trust) In some older records, this cemetery is called the Gympie General Cemetery. Over 63 historical headstones (no burials) from the Pioneer Cemetery were relocated to a special area at the Gympie Cemetery. It is unknown what became of the remaining 1000+ markers, although some may have been used as fill on the site. One headstone remains – that of Annie Everett, with a plaque on it.
More information about
wikipedia - Gympie Cemetery
Gympie Cemetery Trust
Ewanida Rail Records - Pioneer Cemetery (Tozer Park Cemetery)
Gympie region cemeteries
Photographed: Sep 2015
Select images from the left. Displayed images are scaled down to fit on the screen, but full-size images can be obtained by clicking.