An initiative of Ipswich City Council
The New South Wales Government proclaimed Goodna Cemetery as a cemetery in 1859. The earliest tombstone dates back to 1864 but the first recorded burial did not
occur until November 1873. In the 1940s, when a road was being constructed, 192
bodies of former Woogaroo Asylum patients were exhumed and relocated to the Goodna Cemetery.
In 1970 the remaining headstones at the Asylum were also transferred to the Goodna Cemetery.