Donating photo collections
We will accept photos
The transcription text needs to include
- from south-east Queensland
- in one of JPEG, PNG, GIF formats (preferably JPEG)
- files smaller than 500K (much larger and our web server cannot
- can provide transcription for all the photos (see below)
- can provide some background details of the cemetery
There are two methods of including the transcriptions.
- readable names, dates and ages
- name of the cemetery (typically as last line)
- other names (eg of children)
- other inscriptions
- descriptions of emblems
- copyright statement for the photo (second last line)
In another file called background.txt
we would like
- Inside the JPEG/JPG file itself.
- In a separate caption file for each photo.
e.g. if your files are names IMG_05003.JPG
then the caption is to be saved in a file named IMG_05003.JPG.cap
When photographing the cemetery, we like to have identifying photos.
For larger cemeteries, we like to have a photo of a section and of each
row. If the cemetery has an associated church, we would like that
photographed too. For towns we also would like photos of all the
churches (including abandoned churches).
- name of cemetery
- UBD map reference. A GPS location or a GoogleEarth marker would be better still.
- date cemetery was opened
- number of graves (approximately)
- dated protographed
- any background information about the cemetery, church, town. This
can be facts, links to other web sites or other documents that can be
included with the photos.
We also need your permission to publish the photos. You must have the
copyright to the photos to provide this. You must also give permission
for us to modify the photos for publication, for example to create
thumbnail versions of the photos. You should also be aware of our
use statement and be aware that other people may copy your photos.
We suggest you include a copyright statement on your photos, and method
1 ensures it stays with the photo.
While we can receive these files of a cemetery via email, a CD
posted to us may be a better solution.
Contact us for more information, a phone
number and for a postal address.