Many Catholic families came to Grandchester during the
construction of Queensland's first railway line and some
remained to take up land in the district consequently.
Father Andrew Horan of Ipswich invited Archbishop Dunne
to officially open and bless the present church in
Grandchester on 4 November 1894. The building is of
simple Gothic design and was constructed by
Mr J Madden of Ipswich.
More information about
Ipswich country churches
Photographed: 23 Apr 2005
Select images from the left.