._IMG_0624.jpg

United Evangelical Church (Dr Lang's Chapel), Brisbane  On this site was opened on 13 April 1851 a "neat and commodious" chapel for the United Evangelical Church. This church was formed on 21 March 1849 subsequent to the arrival on 21 Jan 1849 of the Fortitude, the first of Dr Juhn Dunmore Lang's three immigrant ships. The church was made up of Baptists, Congregationalists and Presbyterians, and the minister was Rev Charles Stewart, chaplain of the Fortitude.  The church disbanded in 1855 and the chapel was sold on 7 April 1857 to Dr Lang. The Queensland Governmnet puchased the building from him in Dec 1860 and it was used as the first Central Telegraph Office until 1879. It then became part of the Government Printing Office and was demolished in June 1899 to make way for the Land's Office (Executive) Building.  Unveiled 13 Apr 1999 150th Anniversary of the arrival of the Lang immigrants and the establishment of the United Evangelical Church.

Site of United Evangelical Church (Dr Lang's Chapel), Brisbane

Site of United Evangelical Church (Dr Lang's Chapel), Brisbane

Back to the start


Admin


Made with
PhotoFrame 6.9