Postcode: 4055 | Distance to CBD: 12km
Upper Kedron's history has been compiled by local historian, Lesley Jenkins as a part of the BRISbites community history project.
The Jagera and Turrbal groups occupied land in the Brisbane and Ipswich areas. The exact clan boundaries are not known, however, the Turrbal people generally occupied the area north of the Brisbane River. Both groups had closely related languages that are classified as belonging to the larger Yaggera language group.
They camped around the Breakfast Creek area and explorers Oxley and Cunningham met members of the clan at the mouth of the creek in 1824.
Everyday life for the tribe consisted of hunting and gathering food, and social and spiritual activities.
Gold prospectors camped on nearby Camp Mountain in the 1860s.
Cedar, hoop pine, beech and crow's ash was logged near Cedar Creek. An early settler called Thomas Herron bought 200 acres of land in 1886. He later settled on the valley floor where he sold hoop pine from his property.
The Mt Nebo Road, which forms a boundary with Upper Kedron, was completed in 1931 by unemployed relief labour.
The suburb has developed rapidly over the past decade, as rural residential living has become popular. There are many schools and shops located in adjoining suburbs.
Patrick McAlroy arrived in Australia in 1863 and settled in Upper Kedron in 1873. Patrick and his wife had a cattle farm and horses. He died in 1911.
James Belshaw and his large family began living at Upper Kedron in 1875. The family operated a cattle property until 1894. James died in 1911 and was buried at Lutwyche Cemetery.
From 1874, the McGinn family lived on a 50 acre property on the left bank of Cedar Creek. They cultivated nine acres and ran cattle and horses on the remaining land.
The Cedar Creek Cemetery opened in 1898 and is located on Cemetery Road in Upper Kedron. A single cemetery register for Brookfield, Cedar Creek and Mogill Cemeteries is located at the Toowong Cemetery Office.
The community of Little Cedar Creek constructed the Upper Kedron Hall in 1890. A pit saw was erected on the hall site and timber that had been donated was milled to build the hall.
The Upper Kedron Hall served the district until 1956, when it was
partially demolished. Once again, the community provided timber
for a new hall and Ken Morris MLA reopened it that same year.
Reference: L. Jenkins, BRISbites, 2000