Sheldon in the Redlands Shire repeats a Devonshire place name.
Tom Moloney used to collect shell grit from this Caloundra beach, transport it by buckboard and boat to Brisbane where it was bought by poultry suppliers. This would have drawn attention to the shell deposits there.
The suburb gained its name from Sherwood homestead. From 1851 the area was part of the estate owned by 'Captain' Thomas Boyland which extended from Oxley to Chelmer in a stretch known as Boyland’s Pocket. It is not clear that it was known by that name then, but it certainly was by 1862 when in the hands of grazier Jimmieson. Whenever it was named, it seems clear that the property gained its name from Sherwood Forest near Nottingham, England, the domain of Robin Hood and his Merry Men. It is derived from the words ‘shire’s wood’ or common forest land belonging to the shire.
These banks off Tangalooma in Moreton Bay were named after an early shipping pilot. For a while it was mistakenly called the Shoal Banks.
As Shorncliffe overlooks Sandgate in England so Shorncliffe overlooks the town of Sandgate in Queensland. Shorn Cliff appears on a map drawn by the surveyor Burnett in 1852. Nehemiah Bartley wrote of walking from Sandgate to Shorncliffe in 1858.
This suburb of Ipswich was named after the coal mining village of Silkstone in the West Riding district of Yorkshire, England. The village name, whose derivation seems to come from the Saxon Syl meaning wooded, has been in existence since Roman times and is mentioned in the Doomsday Book. The name was also given to a famous seam of coal in that area.
This suburb gains its name from the Sinnamon family who came to the area with the migration of a county squire from Portadown, Northern Ireland, in 1863, and whose grandson, Sir Hercules Sinnamon, sold the land upon which the suburb was built as part of the development consequent upon the opening of the Centenary Bridge.
The name Sippy comes from a local Aboriginal word, dhippi or jippi, meaning birds.
Matthew Flinders marked the southern part of Bribie Island, "Skirmish Point" on his chart to indicate where he had a slight skirmish with the local Aborigines when some of them wanted to commandeer his hat. The point at which this occurred was what is now known as South Point, but incongruously the name has been switched to the south eastern extremity of the island.
Named after Daniel Skyring who, with his brother Zachariah, at one time owned extensive grazing interests in the area occupied by today's Maroochy, Noosa and Cooloola shires, and large parcels of Brisbane suburban land. They both settled in the Gympie district where Daniel called his property Bellwood.
The creek that gave its name to the district was named after the Slack family who had a cattle run there before the days of closer settlement. The Aboriginal name for it was Mungaree, place of fishes, and that is the name they gave to their property. John and Sarah Slack had come from Berwick-on-Tweed, but it is their son, William Dunbar How Slack, whose name is usually remembered in association with that cattle run and the associated slaughter yards. He married their neighbour’s daughter, Mary Ann Skyring, in 1857, and they had eight children. At the age of 46, he died of blood poisoning after cutting his foot with an adze while working at Canungra. That was in 1874. Although he was buried there at Canungra, his body was later transferred to the South Brisbane Cemetery
The name of Joseph Banks has gone down in history as that of a great botanist and adventurer, but his companion for many years was the Swedish naturalist, Dr Daniel Carl Solander, who was working at the British Museum at the time of Banks’ invitation to join the Endeavour expedition. Much of their work was done in collaboration. For many years after their great around-the-world journey with Captain Cook, he lived in the Banks’ household with Sir Joseph, Lady Banks and Sir Joseph’s sister.
Solander was a tough, resilient man, but on Tierra del Fuego he almost succumbed to the cold, and after leaving the eastern seaboard of the Australian continent was violently ill with fever and abdominal pain in Batavia and in South Africa. He survived and lived to 1782 when he was struck suddenly with paralysis and died a few days later. He was a cheerful and entertaining man, content to go about his scientific work to which he was dedicated without trying to claim the limelight from others.
This major component in Brisbane’s water supply was built, 1935, in the Stanley River at the urgings of Henry Plantagenet Somerset who had been a member of the Queensland Parliament 1904 to 1920. He was born in South Africa while his father, a colonel in the British army, was serving there, and lived for a time in India until his parents died and then he was brought up by Ladies Wyndham and Somerset in England. He was barely twenty when he came to Queensland in 1871 and worked for graziers and managed stations until he started buying his own properties. In 1888 he purchased extensive lands in the Mt Stanley area, farmed Caboonbah, but was forced to sell after the disastrous flood of 1893. Seeing the need for a flood mitigation program he promoted the building of a dam as part of this. He died 1936.
The main settlement in convict Brisbane was on the north side of the river along by the present William Street, but a settlement started to develop on the south side fairly early. It developed more rapidly as the area was opened up for free settlement so that, for a time, Brisbane and South Brisbane vied with each other for size. The first regular ferry service across the river between Brisbane and South Brisbane commenced operating in 1843. Others followed. Several hotels opened up there in the 1850s and 60s. One track led from the south bank of the river to a swamp at Wooloongabba where it met up with a track coming in from Kangaroo Point. It then plunged away to the south and to the west. South Brisbane gained its own local government, 7 January, 1888.