Bethel Lutheran Cemetery, Logan Reserve (Logan City)
Address: Corner School Rd and Logan Reserve Road, Logan Reserve, Logan City. (Near Beaudesert and Gold Coast boundaries)
Opened: approx. 1903 (church 1864?)
# graves: 100 (photos)
Logan Reserve Bethel Lutheran Cemetery corner of Logan Reserve
and School Roads, Logan Reserve
Logan Reserve is the oldest settled area on the Logan River and was originally taken
up by Irish immigrants in the 1860s. Gradually German migrants moved into the area
and they travelled to Bethania to church. Children attended the Logan Reserve School
that was also on this site at that time. A request was made to the department of Public
Instruction in 1896 to allow a German School to be run in the building on Saturdays
and to use the school for church on Sundays. It would seem that the request for the
Saturday School was denied, as the teacher from the parish school at Bethania was
sent to Logan Reserve School once a week. The following year the German
community built a church known as the Bethel Church. The cemetery evolved
alongside the church. The earliest marked burial on the site is that of Adolf Wendt in
1903, but it is likely that there are earlier unmarked graves.
The tornado of February 1936 destroyed the church, but locals soon rebuilt it and it
remained on the site until 1972, when it was demolished. Meanwhile the school
remained on Portion 46 adjacent to the cemetery, until 1914 when it was moved to it
current site on the opposite corner. This cemetery is still used by the Lutheran
Community and it is managed by the Bethania Church.
More information about
Logan city cemetery list
Logan Reserve Bethel Lutheran Cemetery
Rhonda Demarco's Logan Reserve Cemetery (Bethel Cemetery) transcriptions
Logan - final resting places.
A Brief History of Logan
Photographed: 5 Jun 2005
Names in cemetery order
Names in alphabetical order
Select images from the left.